BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-22-2023, 06:42 PM   #1
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

Fixing Up Interior - Some Parts Already NLA?!

While I still think my M760 was perhaps the best example I've ever come across for sale overall, the interior is a bit more more worn than I had realized at first, especially for a car that had less than 28k miles at the time.

Over time I have discovered a few imperfections, in addition to one or two that I already knew about when I bought it. Have thought about starting to put some parts together to refresh things inside, so that it looks as good as it should, but to my extreme surprise some seem either no longer available or not ever available in the first place - at least from BMW Parts Direct.

First and perhaps most important, the piano black trim on the center console is heavily scratched, and the entire trim piece that forms the shifter & iDrive controller surround is especially worn, frankly shocking for a car that's still so new. I can't stand looking at it, and would love to replace it...but it seem they've already discontinued this part. Additionally, some of the other piano black pieces around the interior are heavily scratched, and seems many of those are already out of production as well. Finally, I have noticed that a couple of my B&W speaker grills are dented, and it seems those are simply not available at all.

Is there a better source for OEM parts that I'm not aware of? That site has always seemed to be the place where you'd be able to get anything if it was still available at all. Second, assuming the piano black pieces truly are impossible to replace, has anyone had any success having details shops polish out these sorts of trim pieces in the past? I know it's done from time to time, but I'm unsure if it's possible to remove more than very fine surface-level scratching.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:10 PM   #2
Scrh1
Rep
Drives: 17’ BMW 750i

I’d think outside if the dealers or BMW itself , eBay, junkyards / dismantles are your best bet. Pelican , FCP euro, eeuroparts, eBay, ladismantlers , multiple others you can find near new from wrecked cars. Good luck with the hunt.

On the polish or repair question that’s an interesting one. Can’t hurt to try or see what a shop says. If I couldn’t track it down online or in person I’d get it wrapped / ppf’d and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

What piece of piano trim are you looking for? I just looked up 51458077744, and it's available for $618.02

And so are all the other pieces G12 pre-LCI and LCI. You can even still order the Alpina Myrtle colored trim.

BTW, a little elbow grease and fine polish, should get rid of the scratches, or have it done professionally.

You could get them clear wrapped (not really a good option) or have them clear-coated, and then have the clear-coat painted corrected.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
... Have thought about starting to put some parts together to refresh things inside, so that it looks as good as it should, but to my extreme surprise some seem either no longer available or not ever available in the first place - at least from BMW Parts Direct.

Thanks in advance.
I found this diagram and part nbr index for the G11. You can use your VIN on these sites to pull up the diagrams specific to your vehicle...or select model/year accordingly...especially since the 7 series has a SWB & LWB (short/long wheel base) which means some part nbrs will be different in the areas that are different between the B & C pillars.

Once you have the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr...you can simply google the number to find vendors/sellers etc (ie BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x= the actual part nbrs})

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      11-02-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

Qsilver7 Thanks, appreciate it, I will have to do more research for sure, just figured that if BMW Parts Direct said NLA, it probably was.

For reference, this is the trim set that would be most needed: https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-p...02bC12MTItZ2Fz

A quick google search doesn't seem to turn up anyone who still actually has it in stock. Some sellers on Ebay claim to have but I am a bit apprehensive about ordering something from a EU seller with no pictures.

Appears the other piano black pieces might be suffering the same fate...quite shocking to say the least. Some of these cars are still in warranty after all.

This coming right after finding out the OEM fuel injectors for my E60 M5 are now backordered indefinitely....BMW doesn't make it easy for us...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:01 PM   #6
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

They might not have the set of trims (V12, piano black) in stock at BMW Parts Direct, or other places, but pieces of this set are, so you can get these individually. Here in Europe, I can see unconstrained stock availability for whole sets as well, so it might be a US situation only.

And yes, those trim pieces can be polished. How much correction you can get depends on how bad it is and what material it actually is. To be honest, I don't know much else about Piano Black, other than it will scratch up if you look at it the wrong way. Is it just a slab of black plastic, or is it something painted black and then clear coated? If it is coated, then correction potential is limited by severity of scratches, because coating has finite thickness. If it's just a slab of black plastic, then correction potential can be theoretically limitless.

I would go ahead and say that you dont have any severe, deep scratches on it or you would have spotted it sooner. If it is a standard case of dull, hazy, full of microscratches surface, then this can be corrected to 95-100% by polishing. Those few deeper scratches might then pop out afterwards, because surrounding surface has been refined to high grade, and there is no texture in piano black to mask anything. So yeah, it depends on what you start with and what are your expectations.

I polished my trim piece that is around iDrive controller and shifter. Seemed like previous owner had let their fingernails loose there or some keys or whatever, as it had scratches on it. No other surface did, but this trim piece did. I thought it has a different, softer lacquer on it, but boy was I wrong when I started polishing. It turned out to be rock hard clear on it, so whoever scratched it really must have worked hard. Mine is Light Oak with metal inlays. It's wise to ceramic coat the trim to keep it more scratch resistant.

Regarding speaker covers, then these should be readily available as well. These are brushed stainless steel covers, so a good craftsman can take those dents out as well, unless it's too bad.

In general, all parts are available for G11/12. This model has been out of production less than two years, so they cant discontinue those parts. There are regulations that govern for how long manufacturers have to keep supporting the model. Some kits might be in end of stock status, or discontinued, but individual parts must be made available.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00