BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #23
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Regarding adaptive suspension, some pics of that on the displays and the selector switch on the middle console:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #24
talaipwros
Private
Rep
Drives: Model2018 740d xdriveMsport

may I suggest to add x-drive and active steering, even if you have to take something else away ( or pay a bit more)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #25
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Pretty sure as Pelo Cat says it’s air all around as you’ve a button to adjust the height of the car.

Looks good as well on the phones fitting in. I think the display key is supposed to go in that way as the plastic is shaped to hold it like that.

As a question around the display key but how are you looking after that in terms of pocketing it? I’ve normally keys and wallet in one pocket, phone in the other. The size of it is one of the more annoying parts of new BMW’s. I’d rather a phone app but never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
BTW, congrats FastLaneJB on the stunning 760Li, lovely colour, very jealous! What interior colour did you go with?
Thanks I’ve gone with the Merino Cashimere as its got black foot wells so shouldn’t be quite so hard to keep clean. Normally have all black leather however the Merino is included in the price on the M760 as a standard option so would have been rude not too. Plus I’m propping up BMW’s bottom line enough as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaipwros View Post
may I suggest to add x-drive and active steering, even if you have to take something else away ( or pay a bit more)
Poor guys struggling with what options to pick already without throwing more in the mix.

If not picking a performance model I’d say you can cope without xDrivs in this country. I mean I struggle to use my M5’s power most of the time but 250bho odd shouldn’t be problematic. Unless rather north it also doesn’t really snow enough to make it a requirement.

Active steering is awesome and makes the long wheel base feel no bigger than my M5 really when driving. However on shorter wheel base I suspect ACC or upgraded headlights might still be a better choice.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-10-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #26
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I thought I’d said but I’m going for xdrive, but not active steering. Not sure that’s needed on the SWB model?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #27
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
<snip>
As a question around the display key but how are you looking after that in terms of pocketing it? I’ve normally keys and wallet in one pocket, phone in the other. The size of it is one of the more annoying parts of new BMW’s. I’d rather a phone app but never mind.
A good question. You get 4 keys with the 7 now...one display key, 2 'normal' quite nice 'normal' style BMW key fobs and a concierge key (or emergency key)...You can also indeed use an app to check and unlock etc...bmw connected app. (which also gives you access to your user manual etc...based on your VIN.

I am one of those people that incessently needs to check if I've locked something, even just after leaving the car for example...so I do indeed use the display key as its convenient and although it looks monstrously big, its not too bad...so indeed one front pocket for phone, the other for display key (not attached to anything or in any case) and my house keys. As the display doesn't come on unless you press a side button that is quite flush with the unit, there is little chance of accidentally turning the display on and you have to swipe up to get any functions to work even if you do turn it on briefly so no issues with that. The only bugbear for me was that if your display runs out of power...you are SOL. Therefore you MUST carry the concierge key with you as a backup...I do this and keep it in my wallet as it is small and very thin. Others will be fine for every day use with the standard key fobs and using the app when needed. The only functionality you won't get on the standard key fobs is the remote parking if you have it...and let's face it, how often will you use that as any space that is too small to park in will mean someone else can't get in and will likely key your car in the process if not ding the doors, etc...so we're all going to be careful enough to park where we can get in and out without other idiots nearby (as much as one can do!) The car remembers the settings for each key fob so do think about that if you have two people with key fobs...you can still switch settings if you do use the wrong fob or it registers the other person sat somewhere other than the drivers seat...via iDrive.

Anyway, something to cater for all tastes I think, app, display key, normal fobs....I have checked and the display key doesn't tend to lose power that quickly so even after a week without using it, you can't really see it has gone down any in the rather general battery symbol. (no percentages shown), You can of course always charge it up while away on holiday for example as it has a port (covered) for Micro USB IIRC, some USB connector in any case)...so another cable in the bag (or maybe one similar to many non iPhone smart phones out there...)

Hope that helps. The normal fobs are quite nice and have quite a bit of metal and are a bit sculpted: Pic at the bottom of this post for info...

Quote:
Thanks I’ve gone with the Merino Cashimere as its got black foot wells so shouldn’t be quite so hard to keep clean. Normally have all black leather however the Merino is included in the price on the M760 as a standard option so would have been rude not too. Plus I’m propping up BMW’s bottom line enough as it is
very nice indeed! agree, would be rude not to! Not sure I want to meet up anymore though! (will be hard to get back in mine after seeing yours!)

Quote:
Poor guys struggling with what options to pick already without throwing more in the mix.
First world problems eh!

Quote:
If not picking a performance model I’d say you can cope without xDrivs in this country. I mean I struggle to use my M5’s power most of the time but 250bho odd shouldn’t be problematic. Unless rather north it also doesn’t really snow enough to make it a requirement.

Active steering is awesome and makes the long wheel base feel no bigger than my M5 really when driving. However on shorter wheel base I suspect ACC or upgraded headlights might still be a better choice.
no doubt about it, xdrive would have been great, I would have taken it as well but as I bought approved used, was hard enough to find the spec I did get! But I've gone the route of happy with rear wheel drive and if I am driving on the continent or worried about weather, I'll get winter tyres and use the current rims for that, I'm looking at getting some bigger rims for summer anyway so fits nicely. The OP should consider that if they want to drive in Germany they'll need to consider winter tyres I believe to be legal (maybe they can get away with all wheel drive and normal tyres but don't think so...not an expert in that!) Something to consider in their budget in any case.

I find the G11 (SWB) fine without active steering personally, especially compared to the former F series, which was far heavier in feel and the new G11 does handle and turn far better IMO. On a G12 (LWB) I definitely would go for the active steering for sure...that extra 20 or so cm's would make themselves known otherwise on the UK roads and for sure in car parks...

ACC was a must for me, lights second, I love the icon adaptive and split features that do follow the road and don't blind others as well as the laser lights but the LED's would be good too...but to each their own and isn't diversity a wonderful thing...if we all wanted the same thing (well, besides that we all WANT a 760Li of course! ) it would be a boring world....

Hope the OP finds the balance and the various musings from us useful! You'll be happy with either BMW...but you know you want the 7...

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #28
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I thought I’d said but I’m going for xdrive, but not active steering. Not sure that’s needed on the SWB model?
Ah, no, active not needed on SWB 7...handles just like the 5 in that regard without needing it IMO. (although it appears talalpwros does suggest it and it looks like they also have the SWB model...so opinion is divided! Might be worth trying one out with the option (if you can find one on a dealer car!)...

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 01-10-2018 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: rather robust opinion, so trying to play nice with the other kids in the sandbox...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #29
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Oops, forgot the pic of the keys and sizes: (the 7 key fob has always been bigger than those for other cars so the display key is not that much bigger than the standard fob...YMMV.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #30
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A good question. You get 4 keys with the 7 now...one display key, 2 'normal' quite nice 'normal' style BMW key fobs and a concierge key (or emergency key)...You can also indeed use an app to check and unlock etc...bmw connected app. (which also gives you access to your user manual etc...based on your VIN.

I am one of those people that incessently needs to check if I've locked something, even just after leaving the car for example...so I do indeed use the display key as its convenient and although it looks monstrously big, its not too bad...so indeed one front pocket for phone, the other for display key (not attached to anything or in any case) and my house keys. As the display doesn't come on unless you press a side button that is quite flush with the unit, there is little chance of accidentally turning the display on and you have to swipe up to get any functions to work even if you do turn it on briefly so no issues with that. The only bugbear for me was that if your display runs out of power...you are SOL. Therefore you MUST carry the concierge key with you as a backup...I do this and keep it in my wallet as it is small and very thin. Others will be fine for every day use with the standard key fobs and using the app when needed. The only functionality you won't get on the standard key fobs is the remote parking if you have it...and let's face it, how often will you use that as any space that is too small to park in will mean someone else can't get in and will likely key your car in the process if not ding the doors, etc...so we're all going to be careful enough to park where we can get in and out without other idiots nearby (as much as one can do!) The car remembers the settings for each key fob so do think about that if you have two people with key fobs...you can still switch settings if you do use the wrong fob or it registers the other person sat somewhere other than the drivers seat...via iDrive.

Anyway, something to cater for all tastes I think, app, display key, normal fobs....I have checked and the display key doesn't tend to lose power that quickly so even after a week without using it, you can't really see it has gone down any in the rather general battery symbol. (no percentages shown), You can of course always charge it up while away on holiday for example as it has a port (covered) for Micro USB IIRC, some USB connector in any case)...so another cable in the bag (or maybe one similar to many non iPhone smart phones out there...)

Hope that helps. The normal fobs are quite nice and have quite a bit of metal and are a bit sculpted: Pic at the bottom of this post for info...
That's awesome information actually. Though I do actually plan to use the remote parking to put the car in my garage without hassle of then trying to get out so I've got to use the Display Key.

Maybe I'll ask the dealer to throw a case in to put it in just to protect it a bit.

Quote:
very nice indeed! agree, would be rude not to! Not sure I want to meet up anymore though! (will be hard to get back in mine after seeing yours!)
I'll probably be wanting to swap with yours after I find out I have to put a Shell garage on the census as my place of dwelling

Quote:
no doubt about it, xdrive would have been great, I would have taken it as well but as I bought approved used, was hard enough to find the spec I did get! But I've gone the route of happy with rear wheel drive and if I am driving on the continent or worried about weather, I'll get winter tyres and use the current rims for that, I'm looking at getting some bigger rims for summer anyway so fits nicely. The OP should consider that if they want to drive in Germany they'll need to consider winter tyres I believe to be legal (maybe they can get away with all wheel drive and normal tyres but don't think so...not an expert in that!) Something to consider in their budget in any case.

I find the G11 (SWB) fine without active steering personally, especially compared to the former F series, which was far heavier in feel and the new G11 does handle and turn far better IMO. On a G12 (LWB) I definitely would go for the active steering for sure...that extra 20 or so cm's would make themselves known otherwise on the UK roads and for sure in car parks...

ACC was a must for me, lights second, I love the icon adaptive and split features that do follow the road and don't blind others as well as the laser lights but the LED's would be good too...but to each their own and isn't diversity a wonderful thing...if we all wanted the same thing (well, besides that we all WANT a 760Li of course! ) it would be a boring world....

Hope the OP finds the balance and the various musings from us useful! You'll be happy with either BMW...but you know you want the 7...

Safe travels.
I don't think with a 730d the xDrive is needed so I'd not worry too much. I've had a 330d in the past and know the powers gone up somewhat since then but it coped well with the power.

By the time you get to 560bhp of the M5 however you can probably only use about half the throttle when it's cold or raining before the rear is wanting to breaking free, even at 60mph+. Only in the summer on a very warm and dry day can you plant it from something like 20mph. On those days it'll grip and go like stink.

So roughly 300bhp+ I'd say you'd want xDrive in the UK to use it all year round. 300bhp or less and rear wheel drive is fine. Front wheel drive is for women / wives

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-10-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #31
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’ve got a 640d and it copes fine with rear drive only, but there have been enough times when the extra grip would have been nice. If it comes down to it and the figures don’t work then I’ll consider dropping it
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #32
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’ve got a 640d and it copes fine with rear drive only, but there have been enough times when the extra grip would have been nice. If it comes down to it and the figures don’t work then I’ll consider dropping it
I've had a 30d and 35d in the 3 series. 30d was workable as rear wheel drive but agree by the time you get to a 35d / 40d 4 wheel drive starts to make more sense considering how often it can be wet in this country.

Though I'm talking if you like to plant your foot regardless of the weather. If your more just going to make reasonable progress going without is probably fine. Ultimately with a 640d you know your opinion on how this works for you already anyway.

Have you got a date sorted for test drives?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oops, forgot the pic of the keys and sizes: (the 7 key fob has always been bigger than those for other cars so the display key is not that much bigger than the standard fob...YMMV.
Ah interesting. Does the metal key not fit inside one of the other keys like on other BMW's or they give you that one anyway? I'd not considered this but see why you take that with you because if there isn't a pop out one on the Display Key as you say your screwed if you run it flat

I had the display key on both the loan 7's I've had and didn't even check it that closely to notice this. I'd just noticed how big it seemed vs my M5 key but then that's the same key you get on a 1 series. Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #34
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've had a 30d and 35d in the 3 series. 30d was workable as rear wheel drive but agree by the time you get to a 35d / 40d 4 wheel drive starts to make more sense considering how often it can be wet in this country.

Though I'm talking if you like to plant your foot regardless of the weather. If your more just going to make reasonable progress going without is probably fine. Ultimately with a 640d you know your opinion on how this works for you already anyway.

Have you got a date sorted for test drives?
Got my drives on Saturday. Driving a 5 touring and a 7 LWB as they didn’t have a short one in stock. But should be enough to know which I prefer. I’ve done a pros and cons list with the wife and have come down quite strongly on the 7 anyway. The main negatives are boot size but looking at the Carwow practicality review, It seems you can fit 2 large and 2 small suitcases in which hopefully means we can fit the 2/3 suitcases plus baby stroller etc when we do the long trips across the continent. That’s my main concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #35
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah interesting. Does the metal key not fit inside one of the other keys like on other BMW's or they give you that one anyway? I'd not considered this but see why you take that with you because if there isn't a pop out one on the Display Key as you say your screwed if you run it flat

I had the display key on both the loan 7's I've had and didn't even check it that closely to notice this. I'd just noticed how big it seemed vs my M5 key but then that's the same key you get on a 1 series. Lol
No, unfortunately not...you get the emergency key in the normal fobs anyway and so this is just for two purposes: handing over the car at a hotel or similar valet service and not wanting to give full access to the locked spaces and/or to open the driver door if the display runs down flat. You extend the driver door handle and can then use the manual key (as comfort access is standard, no key slots to put it into visible without lifting the handle.)

Yeah, the 7 key fobs are definitely a factor bigger than other BMW's but that does make them a bit nicer too...if you can find a space to park the beast (especially a G12...you'll have to have big pockets anyway for the Shell station as you say and so you can put the display key in there easily )

Good idea about the case, I haven't bothered but I like my display items naked! (phone/7 display key)...hate to cover them as they are such lovely tactile surfaces.

325_bucks: looking forward to hearing how the test drives went, hope they allow you to know which one you want and need. Both lovely really. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #36
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll probably be wanting to swap with yours after I find out I have to put a Shell garage on the census as my place of dwelling
Heh! I love the 730d for that I must admit...as I really only do the stupidly early or rather late runs on the M4/A34 to work each week and there is not much traffic at that time, I can average 44 mpg (admittedly set to the speed limit) and get roughly 820 miles to a tank...stunning. Even going cross country when the weather and light are good to enjoy the New Forest...I can get 38 mpg...mind you that is mostly in comfort plus as well so kinder to the throttle response! Sport or Adaptive are rather more thirsty but much more fun when the mood does hit.

Quote:
So roughly 300bhp+ I'd say you'd want xDrive in the UK to use it all year round. 300bhp or less and rear wheel drive is fine. Front wheel drive is for women / wives
Very true, The 265 bhp is fine for me and coming from Canada, one could say I've driven a bit in snow...

You can still break the rear end loose on wet if one wants to but not anywhere near as quickly or as much fun as the 300+ bhp that 325_bucks already has...

front wheel drive comment: I may refrain from telling the wife that though...I've been married long enough to know my place!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #37
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the 7 key fobs are definitely a factor bigger than other BMW's but that does make them a bit nicer too...if you can find a space to park the beast (especially a G12...you'll have to have big pockets anyway for the Shell station as you say and so you can put the display key in there easily )
Haha. Very good, very good

I'll have to Google all the 4 places in the UK I'll probably be able to park it. I think the plan will be when going to customers to park in the CEO / Director, etc. bays and then say I'm from head office if anyone asks who I am.

Quote:
Good idea about the case, I haven't bothered but I like my display items naked! (phone/7 display key)...hate to cover them as they are such lovely tactile surfaces.
Ah they look lovely but I don't like scratches. Well mainly on my phone anyway but would want to look after the display key if it's in my pocket with my other keys to scratch it. I'll probably have to look for a new wallet with a space that might fit the key in nicely if that's possible. I won't need the space to store wads of £50's as I'm light after this order

Quote:
325_bucks: looking forward to hearing how the test drives went, hope they allow you to know which one you want and need. Both lovely really. Enjoy!
Me too. If the 7's already looking like your top choice and there's enough boot space I cannot think you won't end up going for it. It's going to impress you I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #38
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Heh! I love the 730d for that I must admit...as I really only do the stupidly early or rather late runs on the M4/A34 to work each week and there is not much traffic at that time, I can average 44 mpg (admittedly set to the speed limit) and get roughly 820 miles to a tank...stunning. Even going cross country when the weather and light are good to enjoy the New Forest...I can get 38 mpg...mind you that is mostly in comfort plus as well so kinder to the throttle response! Sport or Adaptive are rather more thirsty but much more fun when the mood does hit.
For reference on long motorway type trips I can get 27mpg on the M5 at a nice cruise. Funnily a guy at work has a Honda CRV 2.0 litre petrol which he picked vs a diesel as wasn't sure at the time what was going to happen to diesel in this country. He followed me on a trip and got 2mpg less than I got in the M5.

I guess point is when the engine isn't stressed and running at a lower rpm for the set speed smaller engines don't make much difference. It'll be the higher SUV drag I imagine that really pulled his mpg down. I just mention it when people say how stupid a big engined V8 is in the UK, it's not as it always seems. Obviously I get a bit lower mpg around the city or when I feel the need to rest my right foot on the floor

From what I've read I think the M760Li will do around 22mpg on those long runs. While I'm running it in I'll be bound to see how high I can get it because I cannot do the opposite and see how low I can push it

Quote:
Very true, The 265 bhp is fine for me and coming from Canada, one could say I've driven a bit in snow...
Bah you cheat in Canada with winter tires. We UK people are hard core with our All Seasons

Quote:
You can still break the rear end loose on wet if one wants to but not anywhere near as quickly or as much fun as the 300+ bhp that 325_bucks already has...
I still remember the first time I ever did that. Had company cars for a long time and a regular 2 litre front wheel job Mondeo was the last one. Once I got the chance to get out I ended up with the 330d. Shocked me a bit and felt so amazingly fast compared to what I was used to.

You know the sad thing is if you have a powerful car for your daily you get used to it and then numb that it doesn't feel all that fast anymore. I still enjoy the screams from my mother though when I floor it

Quote:
front wheel drive comment: I may refrain from telling the wife that though...I've been married long enough to know my place!
I've also been married a long time as well. I find my place is inside a panic room with very thick walls and a supply of food and beer
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #39
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
<snip>The main negatives are boot size but looking at the Carwow practicality review, It seems you can fit 2 large and 2 small suitcases in which hopefully means we can fit the 2/3 suitcases plus baby stroller etc when we do the long trips across the continent. That’s my main concern.
Just wondering, it may look bonkers but might be worth actually taking your normal suitcases (empty) and your baby stroller with you in the 6 and then trying the boot out to see how it actually works as that would be terrible if it didn't work later...some push chairs can be rather large or bulky so trying out a suitcase or three and the push chair would be one of my acid tests if I was you. It will certainly win the other half over to the 7 if they do fit!

The LWB is going to seem very long so do consider that the SWB will handle more like the 5 when you do try it...

Otherwise, enjoy, although stressful in some ways, spec'ing a new car and such lovely choices...is great fun as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #40
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering, it may look bonkers but might be worth actually taking your normal suitcases (empty) and your baby stroller with you in the 6 and then trying the boot out to see how it actually works as that would be terrible if it didn't work later...some push chairs can be rather large or bulky so trying out a suitcase or three and the push chair would be one of my acid tests if I was you. It will certainly win the other half over to the 7 if they do fit!

The LWB is going to seem very long so do consider that the SWB will handle more like the 5 when you do try it...

Otherwise, enjoy, although stressful in some ways, spec'ing a new car and such lovely choices...is great fun as well...
The problem is we don’t have the baby yet or any equipment! It’s due in July! But I’ve already asked a dad friend if I can borrow theirs and take some cases as you say to try it out. LWB is not an option, I don’t need the extra rear space so the short version will be fine
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #41
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For reference on long motorway type trips I can get 27mpg on the M5 at a nice cruise. Funnily a guy at work has a Honda CRV 2.0 litre petrol which he picked vs a diesel as wasn't sure at the time what was going to happen to diesel in this country. He followed me on a trip and got 2mpg less than I got in the M5.

I guess point is when the engine isn't stressed and running at a lower rpm for the set speed smaller engines don't make much difference. It'll be the higher SUV drag I imagine that really pulled his mpg down. I just mention it when people say how stupid a big engined V8 is in the UK, it's not as it always seems. Obviously I get a bit lower mpg around the city or when I feel the need to rest my right foot on the floor

From what I've read I think the M760Li will do around 22mpg on those long runs. While I'm running it in I'll be bound to see how high I can get it because I cannot do the opposite and see how low I can push it
Very true, it's not the size, its how one uses it

Agree with your points, 27 on an M5 is brilliant (IMO)...traffic density probably helps to boost those figures though! (Open road and music can prove fatal...)

22 for the 760 is still very good too...not checked but does it shut down some cylinders when you're idling about looking for parking or a petrol station? Running in definitely important, curious to hear how it goes...you may still find it better after it is run in and had a first service... Besides, as you say, soon it will go the way of the Concorde...best not leave that to chance and be able to say you've had one as if the smile on your face doesn't give it away!

Quote:
Bah you cheat in Canada with winter tires. We UK people are hard core with our All Seasons
Hah! Well, I took my driving test on a '78 ford thunderbird (4.9L V8, 302 cu. inch motor, 5.53meters long) with an aftermarket sport steering wheel (smaller diameter) and nearly bald summer tyres in winter... I passed and promptly put it in the snowbanks several times for my uncle to come and use his tow truck to get me out! (hey, I was 16...(lower age in Canada)...) That thing was a real boat, 3 speed on the tree and a bench front seat...loaded with electric options though...may be why I love the 7 so...

Quote:
<snip>I still enjoy the screams from my mother though when I floor it

I've also been married a long time as well. I find my place is inside a panic room with very thick walls and a supply of food and beer
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #42
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The problem is we don’t have the baby yet or any equipment! It’s due in July! But I’ve already asked a dad friend if I can borrow theirs and take some cases as you say to try it out. LWB is not an option, I don’t need the extra rear space so the short version will be fine
Ah, understood, congrats on the new arrival!

Definitely worth thinking about what type of push chair you'll have as some can be very voluminous and take up the biggest of boots...Hopefully the friends can also provide some guidance and what they're using will be appropriate and what you want later on so a good test to use.

I appreciate that this may also seem bonkers but if space becomes the only negative to go for the 7...and you only go to the continent every so often (say every 6 months or so)....do consider whether you'd be willing to put a set of roof racks and a jet bag on top...that could take any push chair you can throw at it and some extras and leave the boot for the suitcases and other bits...plus you only need all that space when you do the long drives so you can take it off for the rest of the time and enjoy the car and its very large space for normal daily stuff as well. No one wants a roof rack or the jet bag but for the occasional use and extra few hundred it costs, it is a very viable solution to consider?

Hope that helps, lots of change coming up then!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #43
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah, understood, congrats on the new arrival!

Definitely worth thinking about what type of push chair you'll have as some can be very voluminous and take up the biggest of boots...Hopefully the friends can also provide some guidance and what they're using will be appropriate and what you want later on so a good test to use.

I appreciate that this may also seem bonkers but if space becomes the only negative to go for the 7...and you only go to the continent every so often (say every 6 months or so)....do consider whether you'd be willing to put a set of roof racks and a jet bag on top...that could take any push chair you can throw at it and some extras and leave the boot for the suitcases and other bits...plus you only need all that space when you do the long drives so you can take it off for the rest of the time and enjoy the car and its very large space for normal daily stuff as well. No one wants a roof rack or the jet bag but for the occasional use and extra few hundred it costs, it is a very viable solution to consider?

Hope that helps, lots of change coming up then!
Yes my wife suggested a roof rack for those rare occasions. Is that possible on the 7? For some reason I didn’t think you could add one on?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes my wife suggested a roof rack for those rare occasions. Is that possible on the 7? For some reason I didn’t think you could add one on?
Yes, There are hidden points to use one on the roof and when you go to the BMW shop and I put my VIN in, it is one of the few options you can get...

That may help greatly then, I'll see what else I can find about the roof rack in my user manual and post anything I find as this seems an option for you.

EDIT: confirmed, available on the 7. Manual shows this and how to fit one.
Appreciate 0