BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2017 5-series - C&D Update

07-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

2017 5-series - C&D Update

Not sure if this was posted:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-jus...2017-5-series/

Interesting points:

Extensive use of aluminum (and possibly carbon fiber) in the structure likely will slim things down by a few hundred pounds, potentially increasing fuel economy and—we hope—reversing BMW’s recent trend toward duller, less involving driving dynamics. Based on what we’ve heard from BMW’s product director for the new 5-series, Johann Kistler, new calibration for the car’s electric power-steering system should provide better feel.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFan328i

Interesting points:

Extensive use of aluminum (and possibly carbon fiber) in the structure likely will slim things down by a few hundred pounds, potentially increasing fuel economy and—we hope—reversing BMW’s recent trend toward duller, less involving driving dynamics. Based on what we’ve heard from BMW’s product director for the new 5-series, Johann Kistler, new calibration for the car’s electric power-steering system should provide better feel.
Really hope that BMW has decided to make the car more sporting. Because the new 7 has that same tech and drives like a boat.

Granted, it's much bigger and heavier. But....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Really hope that BMW has decided to make the car more sporting. Because the new 7 has that same tech and drives like a boat.

Granted, it's much bigger and heavier. But....
Yep! I got a loaner 535 and that didn't feel like a BMW. Drove like a frickin' Accord.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
laz81
Rep
Drives: 535

Yes a BMW 535 drives exactly like a Honda accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFan328i View Post
Yep! I got a loaner 535 and that didn't feel like a BMW. Drove like a frickin' Accord.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz81

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't. The Accord drives better.

I owned an F10 and my dad is on his 3rd V6 Accord in a row. The F10 chassis is a boat. Even as I had it with every handling option available. The M5 redeems it somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Golfgeek
Private
Rep
Drives: 535iMsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:

Quote:

I owned an F10 and my dad is on his 3rd V6 Accord in a row. The F10 chassis is a boat. Even as I had it with every handling option available. The M5 redeems it somewhat.
I have a 535i MSport, got a loaner 535i and it was like a completely different car, was quite surprised ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Skibum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 LCI 550i Luxury Line

My only hope is they offer at least ONE version of the G31 (estate) with a proper gearbox... i.e. one with 3 pedals! To think there's been nary one F11 offered here for 7+ years is... well... criminal.
2014 BMW 550i Luxury Line
Former: 2011 BMW 535i 6MT / 2012 BMW 550i Sport 6MT / 2014 BMW 535i M-sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #8
laz81
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Oh ok if your dad had 3 accords then you must be right
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #9
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

The F10 weighs an extra 1,000 lbs. I wouldn't call it a boat; it's more like a tank... Anyway, if you're looking for a nimble and well-handling car, the F10 isn't it. However, it does have other merits!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Oh ok if your dad had 3 accords then you must be right
And he had an E39 530, as well as the previous gen 7 series. And he agrees. But it wasn't about his opinion. It was about mine, having owned an F10 for almost 3 years and 30k miles. I think my opinion might be valid at that point.

The F10 is not a great driver's car, sorry. Even with the DHP. The passive MSport suspension is the only one that carries any of the BMW soul.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
laz81
Rep

I don't think the 5 series is meant to be a "drivers" car. Its 4000+ pounds...
F10 is designed for a more comfortable, quite, smooth drive and has a decent amount of power when needed.. Its not made for canyon carving. You're 100% entitled to your opinion.

I drove an accord many MANY times and i would never take that drive over a 535.

Quote:
And he had an E39 530, as well as the previous gen 7 series. And he agrees. But it wasn't about his opinion. It was about mine, having owned an F10 for almost 3 years and 30k miles. I think my opinion might be valid at that point.

The F10 is not a great driver's car, sorry. Even with the DHP. The passive MSport suspension is the only one that carries any of the BMW soul.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the 5 series is meant to be a "drivers" car. Its 4000+ pounds...
F10 is designed for a more comfortable, quite, smooth drive and has a decent amount of power when needed.. Its not made for canyon carving. You're 100% entitled to your opinion.

I drove an accord many MANY times and i would never take that drive over a 535.

Quote:

That's what BMW's were all about. The ability to have both. It no longer. You're right, it's not a driver's car. It's in the same class as the Mercedes.

But it could be.

My Accord comparison is mostly tongue in cheek. The German brands have many advantages over the Japanese. But let's compare the BMW to a Lexus GS (which I currently own) or a Caddy CTS (which I have driven). Both of those are in the same class and both have far superior driving dynamics, despite having similar weight, size and life missions. My GS drives like an E60 5 series. It seats 4 in comfort, 5 in a pinch, and has a huge trunk. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Despite that, it feels light on its feet and nimble.

I really hope that the G30 gets back to what the E60 felt like.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
My GS drives like an E60 5 series. It seats 4 in comfort, 5 in a pinch, and has a huge trunk. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Despite that, it feels light on its feet and nimble.
Yes, but the engine power is lacking on the GS. The Lexus would indeed be great if it had a more powerful engine. Their engine is very reliable, but this comes with the performance limitations of a naturally-aspirated V6.

Also, the Lexus is far from being an attractive car... I think the looks alone kill it for many people.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy
Quote:
My GS drives like an E60 5 series. It seats 4 in comfort, 5 in a pinch, and has a huge trunk. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Despite that, it feels light on its feet and nimble.
Yes, but the engine power is lacking on the GS. The Lexus would indeed be great if it had a more powerful engine. Their engine is very reliable, but this comes with the performance limitations of a naturally-aspirated V6.

Also, the Lexus is far from being an attractive car... I think the looks alone kill it for many people.
The same was said about the E60 when it came out. Ugly, they said. Now they miss it. But I have to say, my GS is the last of the "tame" spindle grille versions. I would not buy the refreshed version as it is too OTT.

The engine is lacking compared to today's modern turbo engines. However, it is much easier to modulate the power. And it doesn't ever jerk off the line or forget to apply power on the middle of an intersection.

And after all of that, it still has the superior chassis.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum
My only hope is they offer at least ONE version of the G31 (estate) with a proper gearbox... i.e. one with 3 pedals! To think there's been nary one F11 offered here for 7+ years is... well... criminal.
You will have to forget the G31 if you live in North America anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:

Interesting points:

I read the steering rack interview with Kistler, and my take away was that BMW steering will be getting nothing but more isolated in the future, with the possible exception of some M models. In the interview Kistler said:

“My personal opinion is, we’re providing enough feedback to our mainstream customers. Some drive 30,000 miles per year in their BMWs, including long trips at high speeds. So the strongest demand we heard was, ‘Please reduce the steering effort.’ They seem to want more isolation.”
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:38 AM   #17
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

That's sad. Just because you drive 30k a year ( which I do ) doesn't mean you want less interaction with the car in my book, the more the better. BMW will loose their differentiation if they adopt that attitude, might as well buy Audi Merc Lexus.
Let's hope G30/31 gets more steering feel not less ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #18
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano
That's sad. Just because you drive 30k a year ( which I do ) doesn't mean you want less interaction with the car in my book, the more the better. BMW will loose their differentiation if they adopt that attitude, might as well buy Audi Merc Lexus.
Let's hope G30/31 gets more steering feel not less ?
Here's hoping, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Appreciate 0