BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
shams13
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Airbag light on

I got the airbag light on with Passenger Restrain System fault in iDrive.
After few days Driver Restrain System started to appear too in the iDrive.

Diagnosed with ISTA/d and Fault code are:

1) Active Head Restrain, Passenger: Resistance too high
2) Active Head Restrain, Driver: Resistance too high

Tried to clear errors with no luck.

What is common in the two errors?? Are really the connections on both seats gone bad by chance OR it is a faulty ACSM unit?

Any help please???

My car is F02 750Li 2009
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Try pulling the negative battery terminal then putting it back after 30 seconds? Maybe you battery is low as you constantly drive with low rpm and using start/stop? I mean, my vehicle likes to not go beyond 2k RPM and keep up with traffic then cruise at 1.1k rpm. I floor it every now and then for the performance. Rising the RPM makes the alternator charge the battery more. I mean, I used to run Eco Pro all the time but then I had massive anomalies such as the HUD not working and other things on the instrument cluster that doesn't work. Pulled the negative terminal and never ran Eco pro other than highway driving and it never came back.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
shams13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Try pulling the negative battery terminal then putting it back after 30 seconds? Maybe you battery is low as you constantly drive with low rpm and using start/stop? I mean, my vehicle likes to not go beyond 2k RPM and keep up with traffic then cruise at 1.1k rpm. I floor it every now and then for the performance. Rising the RPM makes the alternator charge the battery more. I mean, I used to run Eco Pro all the time but then I had massive anomalies such as the HUD not working and other things on the instrument cluster that doesn't work. Pulled the negative terminal and never ran Eco pro other than highway driving and it never came back.
Thanks AntDX. I will try doing this. By the way my car doesn't have start/stop function. I am still wondering how airbag errors are linked to low voltage of a battery in such sofisticated cars. I mean if the battery charge is really low, the car computer ahould registrer as low voltage in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams13 View Post
Thanks AntDX. I will try doing this. By the way my car doesn't have start/stop function. I am still wondering how airbag errors are linked to low voltage of a battery in such sofisticated cars. I mean if the battery charge is really low, the car computer ahould registrer as low voltage in the first place.
Crazy things happen when the voltage goes low. Probably change your battery to AGM and have it registered. Registered means the blackberry code number symbol gets inputted to the computer through ISTA/D.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
shams13
Rep

Thanks. I going to check the battery on the the battery terminals. What are the ideal voltages at vehicle off, on, and engine running?
Should I also check the battery by removing the negative wire to elemimnate any load?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Thanks. I going to check the battery on the the battery terminals. What are the ideal voltages at vehicle off, on, and engine running?
Should I also check the battery by removing the negative wire to elemimnate any load?
Ignore the pesky Ant...

See attached PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2103%20bmw%20550xi%20srs%20code%20tsb.pdf (755.8 KB, 537 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
shams13
Rep

Thanks Lemetier. I will check for connections under my seat. One thing that does not make sense to me that how I am getting this fault for both front seats. It is hard to believe that wiring went bad for both seats at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Thanks Lemetier. I will check for connections under my seat. One thing that does not make sense to me that how I am getting this fault for both front seats. It is hard to believe that wiring went bad for both seats at the same time.
Did both occur at the same time or one after the other? Have the headrests been removed at all? Any previous rear-end collision?

If the battery was the likely culprit, you'd see voltage related faults elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 04:40 AM   #9
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Ignore the pesky Ant...

See attached PDF.
Right. I meet people like you all the time thinking you "experts" are correct then finding out there are more "levels" you don't know.

Quote:
It should be at least 12.6V when off and up to 14.7 when on but then it gets regulated even more somewhere else I assume.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #10
shams13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Did both occur at the same time or one after the other? Have the headrests been removed at all? Any previous rear-end collision?

If the battery was the likely culprit, you'd see voltage related faults elsewhere.
It happened one after the other. Headrests were never removed nor had any accident.
Battery at engine running is 14.8 to 15.1, On (engine off) 12.1, completely off (12.26) and 12.5 when removed negative twerminal
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Last time I have the airbag light on with Passenger Restrain System, dealer replace a part under the passage seat; some kind of detector, and then they need to reprogram the car
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
Luxurytax423
Rep
Drives: 2010 750li

Garage List
2010 750li  [0.00]
Odd.

This message just popped up on my iDrive after riding around with a passenger. I cleared it with e-sys and now it is back... I'll try using the attached PDF in effort to remedy it and I'll clear the code again.. :/

2008 528i Sport/Premium package | Riverside STM 20x9 20x10.5 | BMS PBX | RPI Scoop | K&N Filter | Charcoal Filter Delete | 15% Tint | Rep Mtech Rear | M5 Lip Spoiler | AC Roof Spoiler |
Matte Black Kidneys
Appreciate 0