BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Either a full on closed cockpit or leave it open.

HALO feels like a half-assed effort just to show that they're doing something.
Actually I think the first iteration that RBR did looked better than just the T-Bar.

I still prefer open cockpit. Halo was introduced to prevent harm to drivers like Bianchi and Massa. However, I think both are freak accidents in their own. And Halo is more of a knee-jerk solution.

2009, Massa was hit by Brawn GP's rear suspension spring. This itself was rare, there's more chances on loose tires/wheels during short pit stops.

2014, Bianchi's Marussia lost control and hit a recovery tractor under rain. Since then, race control would introduce VSC/SC depends on situation and make sure cars are slow enough and controllable under rain condition, and when there's a stranded car to recover. Make sure the procedures will protect both track marshals and drivers.
      07-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ I'm not sure Bianchi's outcome would have been any different with a halo in place.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #25
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The sport hasn't changed, this author is either too young to remember history or is ignoring it. Were was the outcry when Ferrari was dominating 2000 to 2004 or when Red Bull was dominating from 2010 to 2014. McLaren dominated with Senna and Prost. Mercedes wins two championships in a row and everyone is up in arms.
2001, 2002, and 2004 were the only Ferrari blowout years. In '03 Kimi was 2 points behind the champion.

In 2010 and 2012, Vettel won by 4 and 3 points, respectively. So, we have never had 3 successive blowout years before, but we are currently well into blowout year 3 for Mercedes. It is indeed unprecedented. Plus, there's no trending towards another team becoming competitive, let alone superior.

What we need is for the Merc guys to take each other out for each of the next 3 races, then maybe the fans will wake-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Actually it's even worse than that. Of the 5 blowout seasons referenced, only 2 were 1-2 finishes. But we are now getting our 3rd consecutive 1-2 blowout.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #27
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Actually I think the first iteration that RBR did looked better than just the T-Bar.

I still prefer open cockpit. Halo was introduced to prevent harm to drivers like Bianchi and Massa. However, I think both are freak accidents in their own. And Halo is more of a knee-jerk solution.

2009, Massa was hit by Brawn GP's rear suspension spring. This itself was rare, there's more chances on loose tires/wheels during short pit stops.

2014, Bianchi's Marussia lost control and hit a recovery tractor under rain. Since then, race control would introduce VSC/SC depends on situation and make sure cars are slow enough and controllable under rain condition, and when there's a stranded car to recover. Make sure the procedures will protect both track marshals and drivers.
The Red Bull solution is actually a step up over the HALO. If something is required to be implemented, I'd take the aeroscreen over the HALO.

However, I'm not sure if something like Justin Wilson's mishap would've been prevented by the aeroscreen.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #28
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Actually it's even worse than that. Of the 5 blowout seasons referenced, only 2 were 1-2 finishes. But we are now getting our 3rd consecutive 1-2 blowout.
You remember watching Schumi's championships. That was the f*cking worst. He clinched the championship in 2002 with 6 races to go. Two of his other five championships were clinched with 4 races to go. Mercedes finishes 1-2 because they have two number one drivers and prepare two number one cars. Ferrari always treated Barrichello like sh*t, making him pull over for Schumi. Giving him second rate equipment. Even then he still gave it to Schumi in a couple seasons.

At least Mercedes lets their drivers race and it isn't a one driver run-away championship like most of Schumi's seasons. This season will go down to the last race like two years ago. It will be fun to watch. But then again, I am not a Mercedes hater. If this was Ferrari going for three in a row, the media would be busting a nut.

Don't blame Mercedes for building superior cars. Ferrari has been churning out some crap wagons, that get progressively worse throughout the season. Red Bull has a superior chassis to Mercedes. When they get the powertrain to back it up, they will start winning races on a consistent basis.

2017 is bringing new rules package, many feel the grid will look a lot different next year. I am hoping McLaren can back up their recent claims that they will very close to Mercedes next year. They need to get back to where they were years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ I'm not sure Bianchi's outcome would have been any different with a halo in place.
Sadly the result will be the same.
He crashed into a tractor made of steel. Its like hitting an egg onto an cast iron pan. Or crashing your bimmer into the high pickup or 18-wheeler end. I doubt the windshield and A pillar can help much in high speed.
      07-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #30
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
You remember watching Schumi's championships. That was the f*cking worst. He clinched the championship in 2002 with 6 races to go. Two of his other five championships were clinched with 4 races to go. Mercedes finishes 1-2 because they have two number one drivers and prepare two number one cars. Ferrari always treated Barrichello like sh*t, making him pull over for Schumi. Giving him second rate equipment. Even then he still gave it to Schumi in a couple seasons.

At least Mercedes lets their drivers race and it isn't a one driver run-away championship like most of Schumi's seasons. This season will go down to the last race like two years ago. It will be fun to watch. But then again, I am not a Mercedes hater. If this was Ferrari going for three in a row, the media would be busting a nut.

Don't blame Mercedes for building superior cars. Ferrari has been churning out some crap wagons, that get progressively worse throughout the season. Red Bull has a superior chassis to Mercedes. When they get the powertrain to back it up, they will start winning races on a consistent basis.

2017 is bringing new rules package, many feel the grid will look a lot different next year. I am hoping McLaren can back up their recent claims that they will very close to Mercedes next year. They need to get back to where they were years ago.
Yes I agree that it got pretty bad during the height of the Ferrari years, but with only one strong driver on the team, there's at least some interest in another team getting 2nd position. Not so with Mercedes right now.
Appreciate 0