BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Great Loaner!

In contrast to my “Terrible Loaner!” thread, I received a White on Black 2014 328d xDrive Sportline today and think it’s GREAT!

Feels better built than the 2013 F30 3 Series loaners I had when they first came out, love the Sportline Rims, Black Mirrors, Red Stitching and Red Aluminum treatment, seats and power feels very good and happy to report the terrible delay / lag of the electronics when the F30 3 Series first came out has subsided in large part.

What hasn’t improved much, however, is the detached steering feel, which feels a little better, but not much. Otherwise, while the iDrive system also seems improved, not happy the car must now be in Park to pair a telephone. Also feel the menus have become too complex, with too many ‘levels’ (in comparison to my 2011).

Let’s see what happens mpg-wise…

Last edited by dbs600; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

I am glad you liked it.But sadly I feel that that the car at its best is fit to be a loaner.The F30 is the the biggest fxxx up from BMW.That legendary steering feel is gone and I have to say the car looks boring like hell.All that furore about the M3/4 just seems like marketing and fanboism at its best. For me the car looks boring even in the M version.I honestly feel that Audi is finally able to better looking /exciting cars than bmw. As always they have an exciting concept followed by a neutered production car.

I came off a 135 and had chance to drive an E 90 for some time before it.In my 7, I miss the steering feel.I can't fathom that BMW thought it could get away by bungling the one thing it's most known for,it's steering feel.I hope that BMW can somehow pull itself back to what it used to be. The last exciting product from BMW IMHO was the 1M.I know it's doable as you do not miss the power steering as much in the newer porsche's.If they can do it,so can BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
I am glad you liked it.But sadly I feel that that the car at its best is fit to be a loaner.The F30 is the the biggest fxxx up from BMW.That legendary steering feel is gone and I have to say the car looks boring like hell.All that furore about the M3/4 just seems like marketing and fanboism at its best. For me the car looks boring even in the M version.I honestly feel that Audi is finally able to better looking /exciting cars than bmw. As always they have an exciting concept followed by a neutered production car.

I came off a 135 and had chance to drive an E 90 for some time before it.In my 7, I miss the steering feel.I can't fathom that BMW thought it could get away by bungling the one thing it's most known for,it's steering feel.I hope that BMW can somehow pull itself back to what it used to be. The last exciting product from BMW IMHO was the 1M.I know it's doable as you do not miss the power steering as much in the newer porsche's.If they can do it,so can BMW.
Even in light of my review, I completely agree with everything you say! Not good. :|

Actually, I recently added a 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport to the lineup. Test drove EVERYTHING(!): Cayenne S, Touareg Executive, Beetle R-Line, C350, C300 4Matic, 335i xDrive, 328i GT xDrive, A4, A5, Q5 and came up with the Lexus as the clear winner. Was leaning Touareg at one point (replaced a Range Rover), but decided to try to save gas.

It drives (engine and transmission), handles and feels (seats and steering wheel) absolutely great. Also gets a lot of compliments (it's Grey on Red), but while I believe the front and profile look great, I feel the rear can use some work.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-04-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0