BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW 7 Series Remote Control Parking Feature Allowed in U.S. by NHTSA

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 7 Series Self-Parking Allowed Into U.S. by NHTSA
COMMENTS

It appears the road has been paved for the BMW 7 Series' Remote Control Self-Parking feature to make its way into U.S. models.

According to Automobile, BMW initially believed that feature would be illegal in the U.S. because federal law -- specifically FMVSS 114 -- requires all U.S. market cars to have a shift-interlock function. Intended to prevent vehicles rolling away unexpectedly, the law requires a car's brake pedal to be depressed before its transmission can be shifted out of Park. Because the brake pedal doesn't move when the 7 Series parking function is activated, BMW declined to offer the feature here.

BMW petitioned NHTSA for an exemption to the rule, and NHTSA agreed that the wording in FMVSS 114 was overly vague. Though the law "requires the service brake to be depressed," NHTSA told BMW the spirit of the law actually required the brakes to be "applied." That means BMW's system is legal, as the car's computers automatically apply the brakes before shifting the transmission from Park to Reverse.

A BMW spokesman in the U.S. confirmed that the feature would be made available in the U.S. but said "we don't have an exact timeframe" for when it will be fully approved and added.

Remote Control Parking in Action:

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I can certainly park my own car... but for those who can't.. or don't want to... I'll take this as a win for my vehicle also. And a loss for Valets.

Let the 7 series coding begin...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-18-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

From what I am hearing the cars that have already shipped to the US market will not be able to simply activate this option as they lack the hardware. This is unfortunate but still good news that BMW got the green light on this feature.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
From what I am hearing the cars that have already shipped to the US market will not be able to simply activate this option as they lack the hardware. This is unfortunate but still good news that BMW got the green light on this feature.
DOH!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

This is good news... NOW LETS GET THOSE DAM LASER LIGHTS APPROVED!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

There are definitely drivers out there on the road who should use every bit of help they can get Parking and Driving....this is for them, not me lol
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
I can certainly park my own car... but for those who can't.. or don't want to... I'll take this as a win for my vehicle also. And a loss for Valets.

This always gets me, when it comes to technology its not a matter of fact that "we don't need it" its a matter of fact that we can.

Do we need HUD, heated wheels, trunk releases from sensors, heated seats, GPS, closing mirrors, led, Xenons, sunroofs, DCT, turbos, brake assist, ABS, cameras, many other unnecessary items. We don't really need them its just that we CAN use them if we want, but if we don't have them we can't.

I love my sunroof, don't use it everyday, but when I do I love the openness it provides when I do. Is there a need? not really.

If you research BMW innovations, one would find that German cars have pretty much been the innovators of automotive firsts, including the first gas powered motor in a car. Many probably thought too, we don't need that, that's not gonna work.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:

This always gets me, when it comes to technology its not a matter of fact that "we don't need it" its a matter of fact that we can.

Do we need HUD, heated wheels, trunk releases from sensors, heated seats, GPS, closing mirrors, led, Xenons, sunroofs, DCT, turbos, brake assist, ABS, cameras, many other unnecessary items. We don't really need them its just that we CAN use them if we want, but if we don't have them we can't.

I love my sunroof, don't use it everyday, but when I do I love the openness it provides when I do. Is there a need? not really.

If you research BMW innovations, one would find that German cars have pretty much been the innovators of automotive firsts, including the first gas powered motor in a car. Many probably thought too, we don't need that, that's not gonna work.
Not to take away from german automakers but it were Japanese who gave us reliability. IMO one of the most valuable achievements in the industry since "invention of cars for all" by Ford.
      01-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

What a pointless waste of money... It takes longer to get out and do that then to just park the car yourself.. How about putting more research into reliability of other components like fuel pumps, engine bearings, transmissions and other components that fail on these cars
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3
What a pointless waste of money... It takes longer to get out and do that then to just park the car yourself.. How about putting more research into reliability of other components like fuel pumps, engine bearings, transmissions and other components that fail on these cars
No one does that stuff ...
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:

Not to take away from german automakers but it were Japanese who gave us reliability. IMO one of the most valuable achievements in the industry since "invention of cars for all" by Ford.
Reliability, how about this for reliability, 08 e60 M5, I drove the shit out that car for 90,000 miles, never did anything but one battery and a few oil changes, that were for the first 50g miles included in the cost of the car. Now that's reliability!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3
Because all of "these cars" have all these problems
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #13
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
This feature is not for you then. Actually it might not make a whole lot of sense in North America...but for many people who have tight laneway parking where there is little room to open your door after parked or would like to get as close to the drivers side wall of the garage so the wife or kids of their second vehicle dont give them a ding, then it seems like a great feature to have as you can park right up close to the drivers door. Will be great for dealerships who will be able to really pack their car lots tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

We can all park our own cars, lol, we can also navigate to destinations using paper maps, but a lot of us prefer using navigation.

If my i3 had this, I would use it every day and we live in a rear-load (garage on the back of the house) home. Well, if it works for parking the car in backwards that is. I have been parking backwards on the left (when outside facing the garage door) of the garage for a good 10+ years. If I back in and hug the wall, and my better half pulls in forward on the right, and hugs the wall, a wide path between the two vehicles is created and the possibility of a door ding is basically eliminated. Yes, the i3 has plastic body panels, so door dings don't happen, but the paint is a little soft so I still try to protect the car if possible. If I could teach the i3 how to park that way, on its own, we could both exit the car, walk inside and let the car park itself. It would be nice if like Tesla's latest update, it could then also close the garage door on its own. Same for pulling out, instead of me pulling out and then my better half getting in the car, if I could command it to open the garage and move into the driveway from my phone, we could both exit the house and enter the car (preconditioned as well) at the same time.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #15
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Hmmm... ordered my G12 last week, and it's due Stateside sometime in late-March. I'm guessing my build won't have this option. I hadn't really set my hopes on the option making it to the US before I ordered, but now that it's been approved, I'm thinking it'd be nice to have. Like Imola.ZHP and a couple of other members, I have a very tight parking space at my condo and routinely have a tough time getting out of the car if I don't pull into the space just so. Would LOVE to be able to comfortably hop out of the car before squeezing it into my garage remotely.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
Rennsport3.2
Judge Hank "The Hangman" BMW
Rep
Drives: Sweet BMX bike w/ mags & pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Reliability, how about this for reliability, 08 e60 M5, I drove the shit out that car for 90,000 miles, never did anything but one battery and a few oil changes, that were for the first 50g miles included in the cost of the car. Now that's reliability!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but S85 or not, 90k isn't exceptional for low-maintenance reliability anymore...it's well below average. Most Japanese appliances were good for twice that ten years ago, and for roughly one-third the price...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #17
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsport3.2
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but S85 or not, 90k isn't exceptional for low-maintenance reliability anymore...it's well below average. Most Japanese appliances were good for twice that ten years ago...
Sorry to pop your cherry but I'm not talking about a low revving 2.3 L Honda Accord. I'm talking about a 5.0 litre 507hp 384 lb-ft torque at 7800 RPM M5 S85 stock v10 motor.

Never to replace anything to do with motor parts, brakes, sensors, etc inside or outside side including not even front and rear alignment, is amazing in itself for 90g on any car when driven as a dd hard.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

It was just a matter of when
      01-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #19
spadae22
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 550XI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR
They are approved on the i8 so let's go BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #20
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadae22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR
They are approved on the i8 so let's go BMW
Yeah, I am aware! The lights are meant to be on the 7 series and the M3/M4 as well. Would love to see them integrate the laser lights and OLED tail lights. That would be BAD ASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #21
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Sorry to pop your cherry but I'm not talking about a low revving 2.3 L Honda Accord. I'm talking about a 5.0 litre 507hp 384 lb-ft torque at 7800 RPM M5 S85 stock v10 motor.

Never to replace anything to do with motor parts, brakes, sensors, etc inside or outside side including not even front and rear alignment, is amazing in itself for 90g on any car when driven as a dd hard.
Couldn't have said it better haha! And there's another "reliability" angle you missed here (as compared to a 2.3L Honda Accord) -- the reliable RUSH you get every time you're behind the wheel. I can't imagine anyone who's a driving enthusiast hopping behind the wheel of the Honda appliance you described and saying it "feeds his soul". There's a price to be paid for that for sure, but that's why we're all here in this forum, right? We love BMWs because by and large they do just that.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

This is a show-off feature, it takes longer to park the car this way. Unless you are on a very difficult/tight space to park, but even in that situation nobody would want his 7Series on the possibility to get hit by the door of the cars on the sides.
If someone would try to park a car this way outside a restaurant or plaza in my city, he would earn a "clown treatment" from the people around, maybe some tomatoes, buuhhhs and insults and of course envy lol.

If I had this in my car I would use it maybe at home just to geek for the first weeks.
Appreciate 0