BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
spidey 7
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750i

2009 7 series spooling/whining

I've had my 750i for 6 weeks and have never enjoyed driving a car as much (including my previous 2002 530i and 2006 550i). The car has remarkable driving dynamics, the engine is sublime, the interior flawless (unless you're into cup holders) and the harmon kardon 600w premium sound system has to be heard to be believed.
The only oddity about the 2009 750i is the quite audible spooling or whining sound that occurs at about 2000 rpm or so and increases in pitch as the rpms increase. I have read numerous other reviews, both professional and owner, and many mention this sound. I only notice the sound when driving around town, not on the open highway.
I wonder if other drivers have been told the origin of the sound and if it can be corrected?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey 7 View Post
I've had my 750i for 6 weeks and have never enjoyed driving a car as much (including my previous 2002 530i and 2006 550i). The car has remarkable driving dynamics, the engine is sublime, the interior flawless (unless you're into cup holders) and the harmon kardon 600w premium sound system has to be heard to be believed.
The only oddity about the 2009 750i is the quite audible spooling or whining sound that occurs at about 2000 rpm or so and increases in pitch as the rpms increase. I have read numerous other reviews, both professional and owner, and many mention this sound. I only notice the sound when driving around town, not on the open highway.
I wonder if other drivers have been told the origin of the sound and if it can be corrected?
Have you tried to drive the car in manual (transmission) mode and purposely select a lower gear to see if the noise is engine or trany related?

If you select a lower gear and the engine is reving higher, you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the engine (turbos) or from the transmiission.

BTW: I have read a LOT of reviews of this car and have yet to find an article that complains about a 'spooling or whining' noise. I also test drove the car twice and never heard any such noise. Aside maybe from SpotM5's post about the transmission noise he seems to hear.

Have you mentioned this to your dealership and if so, what did they have to say?
If not, ask the master technician of your dealership to take a ride in your car when you are driving and point out the noise to him so that he can tell you what that may be!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Have you tried to drive the car in manual (transmission) mode and purposely select a lower gear to see if the noise is engine or trany related?

If you select a lower gear and the engine is reving higher, you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the engine (turbos) or from the transmiission.

BTW: I have read a LOT of reviews of this car and have yet to find an article that complains about a 'spooling or whining' noise. I also test drove the car twice and never heard any such noise. Aside maybe from SpotM5's post about the transmission noise he seems to hear.

Have you mentioned this to your dealership and if so, what did they have to say?
If not, ask the master technician of your dealership to take a ride in your car when you are driving and point out the noise to him so that he can tell you what that may be!
This may be the same sound I hear. I think it is nothing to worry about - as it sounds like the powertrain, tranny, turbo mechanisms or drive belts. It sounds like a whizzing noise. It doesn't bother me -as I got used to it. It also doesnt affect performance. I was walking to my car the other day and heard a new C class Mercedes go by with a similiar whizzing noise. My wife drives a Mercedes GL450 and it also has somekind of similar noise.

I have read a couple articles discussing this as well as the A pillar wind noise. I must have both issues - but both are minor and I simply crank up the stereo.

Also - i spoke to my service mgr and frankly the F01 is sooo new - they can wait to get their hands on mine. That is why I'm holding out... I don't want them making my car the Guinea pig! My check engine light can wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
spidey 7
Rep

I too have read other comments on this sound. Certainly does not effect performance but sometimes it is distracting. The stereo does solve the problem. The wind noise is something I would not have noticed except for the comments in the reviews.
I will wait and see if more owners comment on the sound over the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I too have read other comments on this sound. Certainly does not effect performance but sometimes it is distracting. The stereo does solve the problem. The wind noise is something I would not have noticed except for the comments in the reviews.
I will wait and see if more owners comment on the sound over the next few months.
Spidey-what part of CA are you located? I'm in Silicon Valley
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
spidey 7
Rep

I'm in the Palm Springs area. I've only seen one other 2009 7 series thus far, but the dealer at BMW of Palm Springs told me that they have sold quite a few (I'm sure less than 10). I'll have to go into L.A. to see more.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any updates here on the "spooling issue"? Again, I feel this is a normal powertrain noise for this new car. If there is any other info, please post!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Any updates here on the "spooling issue"? Again, I feel this is a normal powertrain noise for this new car. If there is any other info, please post!
Well, I got about 550km on mine now and I drove it with the AC off and no radio or any other source playing. So far no noise from either the engine (other than the normal sounds an engine is supposed to make when you accelerate either normal or hard) or from the transmission system! The ride is actually very quite and comfortable even with the 20" rims and low profile tires!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
riazah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 750 i and 2007 650 cic

i have experienced the same noise at times but it seems to fade as you accelerate-may take it o he dealer and get the software update at he same time
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
spidey 7
Rep

My car has 5k miles and the sound is unchanged. Most of the time I pay no attention, seems to be most prominent at 2000-3000 rpms. Still drives like a dream. I have not seen any more info. as to the source of the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
SpencerB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009-328i

What is it with BMW's lately

I've owned a number of 3 Series and 5 Series cars, and a number of their Motorcycles.

I just bought my wife a 3 Series a few weeks back, and it has this constant whining noise at 40mph, at 1500 rpm,...I hate the noise. They had the car for two weeks and put over 200 miles in test drives on the car, and ended up replacing hte Drive Shaft...still has the noise.

How can we pay high dollars, and be expected to live with this terrible whining noise coming from some expensive cars !!

Sorry to hear about your 7 Series, it just doesn't seem right...I would fight that one all the way to Jim O'Donnell

They're calling it normal, but that a bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
My car has 5k miles and the sound is unchanged. Most of the time I pay no attention, seems to be most prominent at 2000-3000 rpms. Still drives like a dream. I have not seen any more info. as to the source of the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

WTF?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
SpencerB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009-328i

Whining noise fixed... The dealership took the car back in, and had the BMW regional tech take a test drive, where he definetly heard the noise.

They ordered a new differential and replaced it within a day, and NO MORE whining noise coming from the car. The notes on the service ticket, say that there was a back-meshing within the differential, and once that was replaced the car is totally quiet.

So for those of you having the same problem at 40MPH - 1500 rpm, there's the fix

Quote:
Appreciate 0