7Post
7Post
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > General 7-series (F01) Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
cmhsam
Major
24
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

7 Series or 5 Series

So I am thinking of getting the 740i M Sport. Currently I have a F10 535, M Sport. What is the biggest difference between the two cars outside of the 3" length? I know the 7 is more designed for luxury?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i (Black Sapphire
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

my opinion would be stay with your 5. I was looking at a 750li and the 535i and chose the 5. The 7 was just too big and i didnt need all of that. The 5 looks very similar to the 7 and its just a nice sporty version of the 7.
__________________
2011 535i (Black Sapphire)
2010 M3 Coupe (Alpine White) 2009 M6 (Jet Black)
2001 525i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
cmhsam
Major
24
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt44228
my opinion would be stay with your 5. I was looking at a 750li and the 535i and chose the 5. The 7 was just too big and i didnt need all of that. The 5 looks very similar to the 7 and its just a nice sporty version of the 7.
I was thinking the same thing but wanted to get outside opinions
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
335ifanatic
Major
335ifanatic's Avatar
13
Rep
1,070
Posts

Drives: 12' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC V8
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

I looked at the 535i and 550i but decided to get a 750i. Around here in Vancouver you see everyone driving a 5 series but your rarely see a 7 series and gives its more exclusivity. And about the 750i been a bigger car, it doesn't feel big at all when you drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
cmhsam
Major
24
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

From what I was told the biggest difference between the 5 and 7 is the back seat. Since I don't usually transport people in the back seat the dealer said it won't be worth it. I was thinking of using that money to get the M5
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
NlckyBlack
Captain
NlckyBlack's Avatar
Greece
7
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: Too many cars
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bergen County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
From what I was told the biggest difference between the 5 and 7 is the back seat. Since I don't usually transport people in the back seat the dealer said it won't be worth it. I was thinking of using that money to get the M5
The perfect answer. Go for the M5. I plan to by the end of the year as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
TheRox's Avatar
52
Rep
2,312
Posts

Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ifanatic View Post
I looked at the 535i and 550i but decided to get a 750i. Around here in Vancouver you see everyone driving a 5 series but your rarely see a 7 series and gives its more exclusivity. And about the 750i been a bigger car, it doesn't feel big at all when you drive it.
If you want exclusivity the Panamera is a much better choice, esp at that price point you get so much more in a Panamera - better handling, cornering, porsche engineering, a more responsive engine, double clutch transmission.

Its a personal decision at the end. 5 series is good value...the 7 series is definitely more exclusive and has more road presence (5 has very little if that).

But Panamera will get you way more road presence than a 7, if that part of your equation? I personally could care less for road presence, but it is what it is.

Mercedes CLS (poor driving car, interior and chassis lifted off an E class) also has more road presence.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
727jbh
Lieutenant
727jbh's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
587
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 Moonstone
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Florida

iTrader: (0)

Go with the new 6 series gran coupe'.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
NYe60chrisIU
NYe60chrisIU
United_States
3
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: '08 5er
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 516 / 812

iTrader: (0)

yes defiantely look into 6er GC. honestly whether you go for a 550, m5, 740, or 640/50 its an upgrade. congrats
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
cmhsam
Major
24
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I ordered a M5. Pickup 9/1 in Munich. Thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
47
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam
I ordered a M5. Pickup 9/1 in Munich. Thanks for all the advice.
I mean...there isn't a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

I just came from the dealer where they had a black on black 640i gran coupe and it is definitely a beautiful car. The problem I have with it is the low seating position. Driving with your legs straight out for long periods is very tiring. It's the only thing that would keep me from getting that car vs. a 7.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
cmhsam
Major
24
Rep
1,276
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb
I just came from the dealer where they had a black on black 640i gran coupe and it is definitely a beautiful car. The problem I have with it is the low seating position. Driving with your legs straight out for long periods is very tiring. It's the only thing that would keep me from getting that car vs. a 7.
Isn't 640 grand coupe supposed to compete with a MB CLS?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
vladberca
Brigadier General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
49
Rep
3,963
Posts

Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

The 6 GC competes more with Panamera taking into account the prices.
But M5 offers much more than the other two at the same money, so you've done the wright choice
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.




7post
7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST