7Post
7Post
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > General 7-series (G11) Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
lux
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 F80 dct
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
There is no way in hell a 475hp 7-series can compete with S AMGs. Plus, 475hp is far too close to the standard 750i's 460hp.
It depends on how much weight they can shave off the 7er. From a performance standpoint, you would rather have a lighter car with lower HP but better weight /power ratio, than a heavier car with high hp.

From a marketing perspective--more hp/tq sells cars. So in comparison to an S-class AMG, the new 7er may be a fail.
__________________
2015 F80 M3 | AW | SO | DCT | All OEM
2011 e90 M3 | SSII | FR | ZCP | DCT | Full Akra Evo | AngeliBright
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
BMWPower06's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
1,764
Posts

Drives: ///M5 & ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
boy BMW's marketing team is really shooting themselves in the foot and they probably don't even realize it. The M brand used to mean the best of the best, by making an M770i, why would anyone buy the more expensive M5 or M6 GC. Most of the people who can afford these cars buy it for the prestige not for the performance. So why spend more, when you can spend less and still tell your buds you have an ///M?

Why not just call it a 740is? Don't even get me started on the whole sDrive xDrive non-sense. Have they completely lost it?

I've bought nothing but BMWs my whole life, but all of a sudden the Audi S and RS brand are looking quite appealing. I'll give up RWD, if it means I can have a real sports car.
__________________
Indianapolis Red BMW ///M5
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
68
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

How can they keep reducing the CC and this time even increasing the model number.
They need to call the 760i (w/ TT 6.0W12) M799i or something.
Actually it should no longer exist as it violates BMW values of thriftiness and not giving you anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke
i think bmw will fall like apple did/ is doing. apple changed alot after mr.jobs passed away, and imo bmw started to make showoff cars instead of "ultimate driving machine"s. all those fake m models are what the forum hate, m badged normal cars just to show off.

edit: also im not saying this because of "purism" or any kinda stuff, im just saying it since i feel that way. hell, if i were a purist, why would i be driving a 116i right?
Apple is still breaking revenue records quarter after quarter so apparently the world disagrees with you on apple products.

As for BMW M Performance cars, I won't pass judgment until I've driven one. But you have already apparently?

Can't stand these end of the world sky is falling overreactions sorry.
Breaking revenue records is not an indication that apple is the company that it used to be. Been in an apple store lately? The experience is a nightmare. Oh you don't have a reservation? You can wait for 2-3 hours then for all those people who signed up online but didn't show up. They get that priority spot and I'm walking out the door. Also have you noticed the competence/enthusiasm of apple employees compared to 4 years ago? Night and day. There is one 'genius' for 27 idiots that now nothing more than the average user. The genius is in such demand he doesn't care to listen to you anymore anyway all he is trying to do is get you to buy something and get out. Also the revolutionary stuff that apple has made a name for themselves with simply is falling short with each new unveiling. The new MacBook pro is sweet I'll give them that but just cause something's a little faster and a little lighter doesn't mean it's revolutionizing the game like the products they used to make. Hell, I never notice 'faster' anyway because everything I do relies on the Internet and that's my connection speed not my device.

Record profits means that we have jumped on the band wagon and rely on these products so heavily. Are they better than the rest of the products out there? Yes. Is apple the same product that you got excited about and liked going into the store because of the enthusiastic individuals who knew their product and got excited to show you some new thing that the new iPhone had? No. That is dead.

I tried to write this with that dumb bitc* Siri and I got to the second sentence before I cursed her out and gave up. Flame on ya ya I know there's a million defenders but I was just looking for a place to vent. If no one agrees with me oh well but shoot I hope I made some sense to some people.

End rant.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: (671)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke
i think bmw will fall like apple did/ is doing. apple changed alot after mr.jobs passed away, and imo bmw started to make showoff cars instead of "ultimate driving machine"s. all those fake m models are what the forum hate, m badged normal cars just to show off.

edit: also im not saying this because of "purism" or any kinda stuff, im just saying it since i feel that way. hell, if i were a purist, why would i be driving a 116i right?
Apple is still breaking revenue records quarter after quarter so apparently the world disagrees with you on apple products.

As for BMW M Performance cars, I won't pass judgment until I've driven one. But you have already apparently?

Can't stand these end of the world sky is falling overreactions sorry.
Breaking revenue records is not an indication that apple is the company that it used to be. Been in an apple store lately? The experience is a nightmare. Oh you don't have a reservation? You can wait for 2-3 hours then for all those people who signed up online but didn't show up. They get that priority spot and I'm walking out the door. Also have you noticed the competence/enthusiasm of apple employees compared to 4 years ago? Night and day. There is one 'genius' for 27 idiots that now nothing more than the average user. The genius is in such demand he doesn't care to listen to you anymore anyway all he is trying to do is get you to buy something and get out. Also the revolutionary stuff that apple has made a name for themselves with simply is falling short with each new unveiling. The new MacBook pro is sweet I'll give them that but just cause something's a little faster and a little lighter doesn't mean it's revolutionizing the game like the products they used to make. Hell, I never notice 'faster' anyway because everything I do relies on the Internet and that's my connection speed not my device.

Record profits means that we have jumped on the band wagon and rely on these products so heavily. Are they better than the rest of the products out there? Yes. Is apple the same product that you got excited about and liked going into the store because of the enthusiastic individuals who knew their product and got excited to show you some new thing that the new iPhone had? No. That is dead.

I tried to write this with that dumb bitc* Siri and I got to the second sentence before I cursed her out and gave up. Flame on ya ya I know there's a million defenders but I was just looking for a place to vent. If no one agrees with me oh well but shoot I hope I made some sense to some people.

End rant.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
Jspeed
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: E46 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
It will likely feature a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 tuned for 475 hp and 480 lb-ft of torque.
What's this about? Is the displacement a typo or is it BMW's movement toward the standardized 500cc per cylinder architecture? It doesn't make sense to turbocharge the high-revving S65. I haven't heard of any plan to downsize the 4.4T either.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
47
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
eh calling it a M755i would make more sense.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
12
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: poorly
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
It depends on how much weight they can shave off the 7er. From a performance standpoint, you would rather have a lighter car with lower HP but better weight /power ratio, than a heavier car with high hp.

From a marketing perspective--more hp/tq sells cars. So in comparison to an S-class AMG, the new 7er may be a fail.
Right, but that's like making the M5 with the N55 engine instead of using the N63 as a base. There's no extra engineering required: the twin-turbo V12 already fits in the F01, already has enough cooling, already has a big enough gas tank, etc. etc. etc.

I'd like to see BMW lose 100-200lbs off the current 760Li and bump up the power slightly. Also, I'd be nice if this M770i came in short wheelbase, long wheelbase, two wheel drive, and four wheel drive. The fact that the 760 (in America) only comes in long wheelbase form is pretty stupid in my mind. Not that I'll ever be in the market for a car that big.
__________________
2012 328i Sport Line: H/K + SA
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
18,820
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Bavarian Marketing Works is doing some great things nowadays...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Augenbrauezug's Avatar
16
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: mk6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denton

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
i think bmw will fall like apple did/ is doing. apple changed alot after mr.jobs passed away, and imo bmw started to make showoff cars instead of "ultimate driving machine"s. all those fake m models are what the forum hate, m badged normal cars just to show off.

edit: also im not saying this because of "purism" or any kinda stuff, im just saying it since i feel that way. hell, if i were a purist, why would i be driving a 116i right?
Well as part of 'the forum', we have to remember that we are the minority.
__________________
Bimmer-less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #33
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,036
Posts

Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
lol
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari
I don't care how much heavier the twin-turbo V12 is, put it in the M770i with about 650hp and 650tq, with the weight saving measures they already have planned. Make it available in rear-wheel drive and xDrive.

There is no way in hell a 475hp 7-series can compete with S AMGs. Plus, 475hp is far too close to the standard 750i's 460hp.
They already have a 7 series with TT V12, it's called 760i
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
BMWrules7
Major
21
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu
Wtf really? a 730i with a 2.4l engine?
Yes, BMW's new Toro division combines the luxury of the Seven series with the practicality of a four stroke Briggs and Stratton 200 cc microburst engine.

In addition to the latest professional navigation technologies, this new 730 comes complete with a detachable 30" blade. Moreover, BMW's latest carbon fiber reinforced bag is sure to catch all of your grass clippings on the first pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #36
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu
Wtf really? a 730i with a 2.4l engine?
Yes, BMW's new Toro division combines the luxury of the Seven series with the practicality of a four stroke Briggs and Stratton 200 cc microburst engine.

In addition to the latest professional navigation technologies, this new 730 comes complete with a detachable 30" blade. Moreover, BMW's latest carbon fiber reinforced bag is sure to catch all of your grass clippings on the first pass.
Haha seriously puts things into perspective
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #37
roadmax
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Well, this is less ridiculous than when they decided to put an M to X5 and X6. But it is clear the direction now is heading to complete deterioration of M meaning.
M on this and M on that and at the end everything will end up having an M, in few more years the rare and exclusive BMW models will be the non M ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #38
roadmax
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

...and why always talk about weight saving but when new model comes out it is always heavier than its predecessor. It would be appropriate mentioning weight saving only and only if the new model will be lighter in total weight compared to old model.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #39
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
mshab356's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
773
Posts

Drives: a ///Monster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (3)

BMW should just say "fuck it" and drop in a revised version of the 6.1L V12 they put in the McLaren F1 LM. That engine (and car itself) was/is soooo sex! (hence my avatar pic)
__________________
GONE 2011.5 SG E92 ///M3 6MT | CF kidney grills | IND SG painted side grills w/ tinted lenses | Painted bumper reflectors | TMS 90mm stud kit | Rear fog light mod | Active Autowerke exhaust |

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #40
silentassasin
You wont see me coming....
silentassasin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,302
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 535 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

My friend owns a 760 with M package. Very nice and powerful car. Unless you actually roll out a real M7. Leave it be.
__________________


White on Black F10 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #41
silentassasin
You wont see me coming....
silentassasin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,302
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 535 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax
Well, this is less ridiculous than when they decided to put an M to X5 and X6. But it is clear the direction now is heading to complete deterioration of M meaning.
M on this and M on that and at the end everything will end up having an M, in few more years the rare and exclusive BMW models will be the non M ones.
Say Hello to the M+ version. That's the NEW "M"
__________________


White on Black F10 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #42
debdoub
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Too many M's these days,
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #43
av689
Private
0
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: ESBII F30 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
i'm going to put an //M logo on my cat. stay tuned
My wife put an ///M on my birthday cake....That cake went fast too
Such a nice present for birthday!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #44
vladberca
Brigadier General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
42
Rep
3,873
Posts

Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

It's quite a long way 'till the next generation will appear and these are just rumors.
If they will release an M Performance petrol version (as 750d is available with the LCI) this will be based on 750i and will compete with S8, following the same formula: less weight and around 500hp.
I don t think the numbers are fixed yet as you can't present a new product, expecting to be the best, but with important less power than the rivals.
For sure it will be under 760i and I guess it will be called M 750 Performance.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw m performance automobile, bmw m performance cars, bmw m performance m770i, bmw m770 xdrive, bmw m770i, bmw m770i xdrive, m770, m770i, m770i xdrive

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST