7Post
7Post
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > General 7-series (G11) Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6581

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,623
iTrader: (0)

Exclamation 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11) Begins Testing! Will Usher in Carbon Fiber Era

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2016 BMW 7 Series (G11) Begins Testing! Will Usher in Carbon Fiber Era
52
COMMENTS
Name:  2016-bmw-7-series1.jpg
Views: 23298
Size:  270.5 KB

Less than one year after the LCI facelift update for the current F01 7 Series, the next generation 2016 7 Series (chassis code G11) has just begun testing!

Carbon Fiber / Aluminum Construction

The most anticipated aspect of the G11 7 Series is that will feature the latest in BMW construction technology - namely, an exotic mix of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) and aluminum which will be used heavily throughout the car's key areas - platform, structure and body panels. The G11 will represent the first mainstream BMW model to feature carbon fiber as a key material (after the niche i3 and i8 models). This was previously confirmed by BMW R&D chief Klaus Draeger.

With gas prices ever rising, emissions requirements becoming more stringent by the year, and vehicle weights bloating, increased efficiency without sacrificing performance is a goal BMW seems intent to accomplish, by reducing the weight of its vehicles through heavy use of carbon fiber technology. For this reason, the company started the joint venture with SGL Group in 2011 to take the carbon fiber production process mass scale.

The 2016 7 Series will come in both standard and long wheel base Li models, with the usual gasoline and diesel engine lineup. There may also be a new V12 hybrid model introduced.

The G11 will likely spawn the first 7 Series M Performance model, possibly badged as the "M770i xDrive."


Styling

As this is such an early prototype, heavy camouflage masks nearly all parts of the car. But, the G11 test mule appears to reveal one design aspect that would come as very welcome news to many - the hood shut line seems to have been moved to a much more attractive and natural position - to where the hood meets the kidney grilles. If true (and it's not just the camouflage playing tricks), this would hopefully be a signal that future BMW models (following the next 7 Series) will receive the same styling change.

Expect the next 7 Series to make its debut sometime in 2015.

2016 BMW G11 7 Series Prototype Begins Testing!




Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
M3chaser
M3chaser
0

 
M3chaser's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i, E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Land of the Free


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

BMW had better get this one right.
The current MB S-Class is already leading the pack and its upcoming replacement due this year will take things further......
Show them who's boss this time
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
cipher5
United_States
103

 
cipher5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535xi Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 2,801
iTrader: (10)

I love the "tow hook package"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
MrE71Guy
Registered
0

 
Drives: E71 X6 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Africa


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

I hope it looks better than the current F01/F02 model...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
ts61gogo
Private First Class
Germany
1

 
Drives: Does not exist yet
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frankfurt


Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

To be honest, it looks like more of an evolutionary step. The belt and character line may be slightly different from the F01.
But overall, the body looks lower and the fascia sleeker
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
35

 
MNm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, CO


Posts: 500
iTrader: (0)

Agreed. They need to get this right this time. IMO the 7 series has been a weak link for nearly the past decade.
__________________
2009 E90 Le Mans Blue M3 6MT De-Chromed, AiB V3, Rogue SSK, Brembo BBK, Eibach Pro Kit, Eisenmann Race Black, ESS Tune, MS Filter. 1998.5 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe NASA GTS2 Race Car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
ThreeThirtyFiveI
Lieutenant
United_States
29

 
ThreeThirtyFiveI's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' Estoril II Blue 335i F30XM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elmira, New York


Posts: 404
iTrader: (7)

Kind of has a Bentley look?
__________________
Retired: 99' E46 323i AW / 06' E90 330i SG / 09'LCI E90 335i MB
Driving: 13' F30 / 335i / Msport /// xDrive / Estoril Blue II / Black / HexEstoril / ZMT / ZCW-ZDA-ZDH-ZPP-ZTP-337-688 /
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
e92dave
Private
0

 
Drives: 08' e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: boston, ma


Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Has a more flagship model look to it than the past two generations. Long, low and sleek. I like what I see!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
bimmerJP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe


Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [2.50]
G11!?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
109

 
MI6's Avatar
 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall


Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

G11?????

WTF......?

It took decades for BMW to go through the E chassis and now in less than 10 years we are already done with "F"?

And what chassis were G1 through G10 then if the new "7" is already at G11?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
16

 
Drives: poorly
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California


Posts: 673
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
G11?????

WTF......?

It took decades for BMW to go through the E chassis and now in less than 10 years we are already done with "F"?

And what chassis were G1 through G10 then if the new "7" is already at G11?
My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is the new models with CFRP will be Gxx while the steel/aluminum cars will remain Fxx.
__________________
2012 328i Sport Line: H/K + SA
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
43

 
Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY


Posts: 3,277
iTrader: (0)

That was my thought too. What are the g01-g10 codes reserved for? Maybe they are taken with the i3, i8
__________________

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
59

 
MSPORTWORLD's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California


Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Excited to see the future with CFRP and Aluminum
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
1

 
bunker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i Touring, M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
But, the G11 test mule appears to reveal one design aspect that would come as very welcome news to many - the hood shut line seems to have been moved to a much more attractive and natural position - to where the hood meets the kidney grilles. If true (and it's not just the camouflage playing tricks), this would hopefully be a signal that future BMW models (following the next 7 Series) will receive the same styling change.
That would be a welcome change indeed. Fingers crossed...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Double Bubble
Captain
No_Country
8

 
Double Bubble's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: States


Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

The most anticipated aspect of the G11 7 Series is that will feature the latest in BMW construction technology - namely, an exotic mix of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) and aluminum which will be used heavily throughout the car's key areas - platform, structure and body panels. The G11 will represent the first mainstream BMW model to feature carbon fiber as a key material (after the niche i3 and i8 models). This was previously confirmed by BMW R&D chief Klaus Draeger.

With gas prices ever rising, emissions requirements becoming more stringent by the year, and vehicle weights bloating, increased efficiency without sacrificing performance is a goal BMW seems intent to accomplish, by reducing the weight of its vehicles through heavy use of carbon fiber technology. For this reason, the company started the joint venture with SGL Group in 2011 to take the carbon fiber production process mass scale.

The 2016 7 Series will come in both standard and long wheel base Li models, with the usual gasoline and diesel engine lineup. There may also be a new V12 hybrid model introduced.

The G11 will likely spawn the first 7 Series M Performance model, possibly badged as the "M770i xDrive."


I know Jason is an admin here but where do you get these sources? Are these valid?
__________________
________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
cotmfk
Brigadier General
56

 
cotmfk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC, MD, VA


Posts: 3,469
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6
G11?????

WTF......?

It took decades for BMW to go through the E chassis and now in less than 10 years we are already done with "F"?

And what chassis were G1 through G10 then if the new "7" is already at G11?
+1! E90 is just replaced, and we're already at G!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
chrisny
Colonel
United_States
33

 
Drives: Msport '13 335xi & '14 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (0)

Probably a dumb question, but does this use of carbon fiber mean a decrease in safety? Clearly they wouldn't do that, so my real question is how does carbon fiber maintain strength?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
24601
Major
United_States
46

 
24601's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oahu, Hawaii


Posts: 1,174
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Toyota Prius  [0.00]
2014 BMW 750Li  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
G11?????

WTF......?

It took decades for BMW to go through the E chassis and now in less than 10 years we are already done with "F"?

And what chassis were G1 through G10 then if the new "7" is already at G11?

I was thinking the same thing!
__________________
MY13 E92 M3 SS w/ ZCP l ZPP l 2MK l 6NR l 752 l M Performance Exhaust, Grill, Side Gills, C/F splitters

Sold - 2009 E92 335i LMB M-Sport
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
2

 
makdeniss's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Estonia


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

We need Scott26 to approve.
__________________
My ugly illusions are such a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
36

 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee


Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

It actually doesn't look that much bigger than the current model. Unless that is the standard wheelbase model. If thats the case prepare for a F10 sized 3-Series.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
atopa2002
Private First Class
United_States
5

 
Drives: Z3, LCI e90 335i, 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond,VA


Posts: 174
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Probably a dumb question, but does this use of carbon fiber mean a decrease in safety? Clearly they wouldn't do that, so my real question is how does carbon fiber maintain strength?
CF > steel regarding tensile strength.

Me thinks the car looks lower because of test equipment on broad
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
SamS
Brigadier General
76

 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,550
iTrader: (0)

Nice scoop! The chassis code G11 is the biggest news, IMO.

Even though the car has heavy camo, it actually looks closest too the E65 style IMO.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2016 7 series, 2016 bmw 7 series, 7 series forum, 7 series forums, 7 series g11, 7 series g11 forum, bmw 7 series forum, bmw 7 series forums, bmw 7 series g11, bmw 7 series g11 forum, bmw g11, bmw g11 7 series, bmw g11 forums, bmw m770i, g11 7 series, g11 7 series forum, g11 bmw, g11 forum, m770i, m770i forum, m770i forums, m770i xdrive, new 7 series, next 7 series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST