06-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
In most areas of my life the way that I budget is I spend a lot on what I like (car, travel...), and almost nothing on what I don't.

I've been looking into watches because I thought I might be into them... but I'm just not. I can't get into the obvious craftsmanship that goes into a movement. I like the look and thats about it. Problem is, as with most things, the best looking things cost money -- a lot of money especially when it comes to watches.

It's either get something relatively cheap or nothing at all. I'll never spend $5K on a watch. I'm open to replicas, and this one caught my eye.

http://www.perfectwatches.cn/breitli...zel-bl351.html

So here's my question: Are there used watches (or new) from quality manufacturers out there that look like this? I'd spend $1K tops, and that if it is something that blows my face off. I'd appreciate any guidance.
There's really no reason you need to or should be "into" watches. If you aren't, you just aren't. Heck, most people aren't, so that you aren't either isn't surprising.

Red:
When I first began to buy watches, I certainly wasn't into them for anything other than their "merit" as a fashion accessory. Even now, that's a huge driver to which specific watches I like and/or don't. About all that's changed between some 30+ years ago and now is that I've realized that there are far more watches out there that I think are great looking than I ever will muster the money to buy.

In light of that, I developed some structure to why I buy what I buy, and that structure helps a lot to keep me from just arbitrarily spending a ton on lots of watches just because I think it's cool looking. The structure also helps insofar as by giving me specific targets, I don't feel like I'm missing out on something I don't buy. I always feel compelled to buy watches that help me achieve my goals before I bother with buying watches that don't move me closer to my goals.

Blue:
Well, if the ones about which you fell that way do, I guess they do.

Green:
Yes.
Are there any this very moment? I don't know.

Will they look like the B-ling you pictured? Probably not. It's a modern watch. That's the point of being a "modern" watch.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-30-2015 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0