08-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #129
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
This may very well be true, but only forensic data and not perception can bear that out. I say this because subjective perception may be incorrect; a few years ago, if you compared a carbon-fiber component with its steel counterpart, the uninformed would perceive the CF to be the inferior of the 2; i.e. light-weight and thin CF = "flimsy" (bad) versus heavy-weight and thick steel = strong (good).

If the barrier cable was engineered to withstand an ingress parking bay speed of S for a vehicle carrying a max weight of W and that falls within regulatory spec, then I don't see how she'll successfully litigate against any combination of architect, builder, parking lot operator and anyone else in that construction supply chain; unless some Bernie Madoff type entity knowingly and deceitfully supplied sub-standard materials; but she'd need to prove that and it would cost her a ton to do so. Even in seemingly benign driving situations like parking bay entry; the onus is on the driver to be defensively vigilant, retain control and to rectify bad decisions in split-seconds.

We've all screwed up while driving; most of us get away with it without damage to life, limb or property, but hopefully reach the point of realization that we acknowledge having more luck than brains in the past; I know I do.

In the recent past, I drove a 428i Convertible loaner; the little 2.0L i4 has surprisingly sweet bottom-end torque starting at 1,250 RPM, braked and handled well. I was impressed. Maybe BMW’s 360 degree cam and automation technology will prevent this in the future, where the car ignores driver acceleration input and applies the brakes to prevent shooting off the 7th floor. But even then, I’m sure many will blame others first, as we’ve evolved into a spoilt, self-indulgent and distracted generation.
Well stated Sir.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0