Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Increased difficultly will not decrease accidents. People will still be distracted and make mistakes. We are on a path as a society to less control over driving, whether we like it or not. If her car were forced to stop itself before collision the vast majority of the general public would advocate that solution rather than making it more difficult to drive.
So Tesla's Autopilot didn't recognize a tractor trailer as not being a billboard (it was designed to ignore) and decapitated the driver (errr... computer-assisted-passenger not paying attention to where the car was going). So you think an autonomous car would see three cables as a barrier and safely stop?

Bet ya our buddy MalibuBimmer would love to sink his teeth in on that lawsuit.
Tesla' AutoPilot was / is remains a beta test. I don't agree that more complex driving will remove human error (including distracted driving, falling asleep and stupidity in general) better than safety systems designed to prevent crashes when those systems are well designed and tested for the general public, which is were this particular debate started. You are not going to save manuals by saying they are safer because they make driving more challenging.

That doesn't mean a system will never have a crash particularly if operating among human drivers in other vehicles, but there is no way that isn't what the future holds, like it or not. It may not happen for decades but eventually I expect people won't be allowed to drive at all on public roads. Don't mistake that as an endorsement for these systems or loss of the ability to drive. Personally, I'd rather drive myself but the vast majority of people want to move from Point A to Point B and do something else while being transported.