View Single Post
      01-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #31
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Never owned a convertible. That's one of the things on my list to tick at some point along with a car with a stupidly huge spoiler. Though I'm getting older so probably a retractable one will do these days

My wife won't drive my M5. She's insured on it but refuses to try it after she had a go just once. It's a mixture of the DCT and how it doesn't work quite like a normal auto with creep. If you just take your foot off the brake it'll hold for about 2 seconds then release so if it's not flat it'll simply roll either forwards of backwards if it's not level. If you tap the accelerator just a bit then it kicks in an automatic type creep and it's normal. Anyway the best way I can describe it when I first drove it is that it feels like an apex predator that wants to leap forwards and murder the car infront of you at the lights. At speed its fine and at low speeds mostly fine but it's not perfect. I see lots of people complaining the new one doesn't have the DCT anymore but personally a ZF 8 speed is a much better choice overall.

I've had a 730d for a week off BMW right when they were first new. Almost got it over the M5 but with no discount then and a 2.9% APR vs the cracking deals on the M5 it just made more sense to get the M5. I know completely different cars but I just like trying out different styles, it doesn't have to be fast to be honest. The M760Li again is probably mostly because the deal is just so damn strong, it's so much car for so little.

I'm not a fan of filling up all the time, it's not the cost but just the pain of having to hunt down a Shell for some V Power more often than you'd ideally want. I do miss the diesel 700 odd miles per tank type cars in that sense. Just feel buying a new diesel now simply isn't a wise thing to do even if I think BMW make pretty clean diesels for a diesel anyway.

Hopefully have a chat with my guy at the dealer tomorrow as he's been off over Xmas. Also trying a Tesla next weekend as I thought why not but a P100D would likely come in around £200+ more than a M760Li yet other than it's stonking speed the quality of the car simply won't compare.

I do love car shopping and picking up a new one is the only thing that excites me like when I was a kid on Xmas day.

I haven't been Bristol way for ages but I'll be sure to message you if I ever do head that direction
Appreciate 0