01-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #34
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Re: Convertibles: I used to love motorcycling, all super sport models but had a serious accident (that I luckily walked away from nearly unscathed) where I realised speed was going to kill me on two wheels so went for convertibles thereafter and we've always had one as our second car, from a 3 series to a TT to the latest mini cooper S. Not at all the same feeling but a reasonable compromise to have open top and fresh air but more 'crumple zone and four wheels'

Seems like our wives have much in common as well I'm trying to get her to go for a Porsche or an M4 as next car...(soft top or hard)...work in progress!

I love the 7 for the balance of enough power, stunning understated luxury and yet extremely cost effective. The 730 or 740d models have stupidly good mpg and range figures (I've never been below 40 mpg and get nearly 800 miles out of the 730d now and still have 265 bhp and plenty of torque)...the 740 would be a smile machine! (or a chipped 730)...I love the 760 for the sheer audacity of it and indeed it would be great to own a v12 before they go the long silent path in this modern world...same as the diesels, however, I'm thinking the benefits are still great for a diesel (new) for the next 5-8 years anyway...

Curious to hear what route you take and how the Tesla was, I'm not a fan for a few reasons but do see the attraction. I would say it is worth trying to drive a car with the latest touch interfaces such as the Tesla or Audi A8 as I think they are incredibly frustrating due to the touch screens. They are great when stopped or playing in a car park, but actually dangerous when driving as there is no reference point to see what you are doing unless you actually take the time to look and guide your fingers across the controls. Even in the G series I find the front upper temperature regulation sliders for the vents a pain to get the touch just right and move as one wants...I can't imagine making changes to more important settings via a arbitrary placement on a big screen without taking too long to look. YMMV.

Car shopping is brilliant, truly a kid in a candy store or at Xmas...enjoy! Do let us know what you do decide for in the end and why please, always helpful for others to know and help them decide as well.

Regardless of what you get, should you make it down to the West country...do drop a line and I'll happily meet up for a chat and a drink. ^

(but you know you want the 7... ) Couldn't resist!
Ah I've never done the motorbike thing and likely that's far far cheaper of course. Also pretty dangerous as you've said, especially in a crowded country like this and the way some people drive their cars as well. Probably not where the heart is but a sensible choice I'd say.

It's hard to say on the diesels. It's not like I'd not buy one of course but I do like a fully loaded car give or take. Once you fill a 730d or 740d with a good selection of options it costs the same on the monthly payments as an M760Li. By that point it would be rude not to take the M760Li

I doubt at all I'll go for a Tesla but I would kick my self if I didn't try it. However I've been reading up on their forums and they sound like once you look under the skin of them a bit it's not nearly as impressive. The Sat Nav sounds pretty rubbish, the music player crashes a lot, the build quality is poor, they promise the the earth but you don't even have auto wipers yet. Maybe driving one will blow my mind and change it, I just don't think so.

Your right of course on touch controls, however like the V12 physical buttons will die off anyway I imagine. It'll take time but again over time we'll do less driving and have stronger autonomous features so it won't matter so much taking your eyes off the road. The clean look is nice from touch but I have to say the 7 series has just the right amount of buttons and design. I'm not a fan of the older Porsche's with 600 buttons either, it's a step too far in the other direction. Oh and don't forget voice control will only get better.

Had a chat with my man at the dealer and looks like we have a deal on the M760Li so likely I'll sign that on Tuesday. They've 2 in stock, one not registered yet but it's black exterior / black interior and has the exec lounge package. I've been told in no under certain terms if the wife's seat doesn't have massage I'm a dead man, luckily I think there's enough space in the boot for bodies as well So it'll be a new build I think which means I'm going to struggle all weekend with the colours, exterior and interior.

Most cars around here have M badges on them or AMG's even though obviously most are anything but. Maybe I'll debadge it and stick a 318d on the back. Put a V12 and M badge on the wife's Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogolf View Post
just go for the new f90 m5 or the m550xi, i am driving the g12 750 my second 7, but honestly if you don't need the back seat room go for m5 or the m550. i bought 750xi as my son is 6'3 and always bitched on rear seat leg room when i had 550xi.
They don't sell the M550xi in the UK, no demand as by the time you get to that engine we'd just buy the M5 anyway. Also I've seen and sat in the new M5 and it's an amazing looking car. They've fixed probably all the bug bears I have with the current car with 4 wheel drive, adaptive cruise and so on. However it's not worth paying significantly more to get one over an M760Li.

Not sure how the deals go in the USA but in the UK excluding dealer haggling the F90 M5 which is an £86k car is the following:

£10k down payment then £1,322 per month for a 48 month deal with an APR of 5.9%
By the time you add some options to this it'll be around £1,500 a month

For the M760Li is a £135k car

£10k down payment then £1,129 per month for a 48 month deal with an APR of 0%
Almost no options to add because it comes standard with almost every 7 series option ticked

So you can get a car that costs £49k more for less. The only downside for the M760Li is it's rather big and won't have the driving dynamics but otherwise in every single way it's more of a car than the M5.

Hence I think if you want to do the sensible thing, the M760Li is the one to get.

Don't get me wrong once the initial rush for the new M5 ends they'll throw some deals in and it'll be the cheaper car. My F10 M5 with options came to £86k actually, put in £10k and pay £800 a month on a 0% deal. Hence at some point it will become the cheaper car it actually is but maybe not until later this year or early next year depending on how demand goes.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 01-05-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0