Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
<snip>
As a question around the display key but how are you looking after that in terms of pocketing it? I’ve normally keys and wallet in one pocket, phone in the other. The size of it is one of the more annoying parts of new BMW’s. I’d rather a phone app but never mind.
A good question. You get 4 keys with the 7 now...one display key, 2 'normal' quite nice 'normal' style BMW key fobs and a concierge key (or emergency key)...You can also indeed use an app to check and unlock etc...bmw connected app. (which also gives you access to your user manual etc...based on your VIN.

I am one of those people that incessently needs to check if I've locked something, even just after leaving the car for example...so I do indeed use the display key as its convenient and although it looks monstrously big, its not too bad...so indeed one front pocket for phone, the other for display key (not attached to anything or in any case) and my house keys. As the display doesn't come on unless you press a side button that is quite flush with the unit, there is little chance of accidentally turning the display on and you have to swipe up to get any functions to work even if you do turn it on briefly so no issues with that. The only bugbear for me was that if your display runs out of power...you are SOL. Therefore you MUST carry the concierge key with you as a backup...I do this and keep it in my wallet as it is small and very thin. Others will be fine for every day use with the standard key fobs and using the app when needed. The only functionality you won't get on the standard key fobs is the remote parking if you have it...and let's face it, how often will you use that as any space that is too small to park in will mean someone else can't get in and will likely key your car in the process if not ding the doors, etc...so we're all going to be careful enough to park where we can get in and out without other idiots nearby (as much as one can do!) The car remembers the settings for each key fob so do think about that if you have two people with key fobs...you can still switch settings if you do use the wrong fob or it registers the other person sat somewhere other than the drivers seat...via iDrive.

Anyway, something to cater for all tastes I think, app, display key, normal fobs....I have checked and the display key doesn't tend to lose power that quickly so even after a week without using it, you can't really see it has gone down any in the rather general battery symbol. (no percentages shown), You can of course always charge it up while away on holiday for example as it has a port (covered) for Micro USB IIRC, some USB connector in any case)...so another cable in the bag (or maybe one similar to many non iPhone smart phones out there...)

Hope that helps. The normal fobs are quite nice and have quite a bit of metal and are a bit sculpted: Pic at the bottom of this post for info...

Quote:
Thanks I’ve gone with the Merino Cashimere as its got black foot wells so shouldn’t be quite so hard to keep clean. Normally have all black leather however the Merino is included in the price on the M760 as a standard option so would have been rude not too. Plus I’m propping up BMW’s bottom line enough as it is
very nice indeed! agree, would be rude not to! Not sure I want to meet up anymore though! (will be hard to get back in mine after seeing yours!)

Quote:
Poor guys struggling with what options to pick already without throwing more in the mix.
First world problems eh!

Quote:
If not picking a performance model I’d say you can cope without xDrivs in this country. I mean I struggle to use my M5’s power most of the time but 250bho odd shouldn’t be problematic. Unless rather north it also doesn’t really snow enough to make it a requirement.

Active steering is awesome and makes the long wheel base feel no bigger than my M5 really when driving. However on shorter wheel base I suspect ACC or upgraded headlights might still be a better choice.
no doubt about it, xdrive would have been great, I would have taken it as well but as I bought approved used, was hard enough to find the spec I did get! But I've gone the route of happy with rear wheel drive and if I am driving on the continent or worried about weather, I'll get winter tyres and use the current rims for that, I'm looking at getting some bigger rims for summer anyway so fits nicely. The OP should consider that if they want to drive in Germany they'll need to consider winter tyres I believe to be legal (maybe they can get away with all wheel drive and normal tyres but don't think so...not an expert in that!) Something to consider in their budget in any case.

I find the G11 (SWB) fine without active steering personally, especially compared to the former F series, which was far heavier in feel and the new G11 does handle and turn far better IMO. On a G12 (LWB) I definitely would go for the active steering for sure...that extra 20 or so cm's would make themselves known otherwise on the UK roads and for sure in car parks...

ACC was a must for me, lights second, I love the icon adaptive and split features that do follow the road and don't blind others as well as the laser lights but the LED's would be good too...but to each their own and isn't diversity a wonderful thing...if we all wanted the same thing (well, besides that we all WANT a 760Li of course! ) it would be a boring world....

Hope the OP finds the balance and the various musings from us useful! You'll be happy with either BMW...but you know you want the 7...

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0