08-26-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_xd View Post
I'm thinking about doing the same. I've done a bit of research on the forum and the main recurring issue is your injectors can get stuck open when running E85.

It's not clear what causes it, some people think that the ethanol dislodges gunk built up in the fueling system and fouls up the injectors. If you're planning on going with flex fuel they say you should get the more expensive Bend Calibration kit with the extra fuel filter. Others say its not necessary and not to worry about it. Another theory is running an aggressive tune at 6.5k+ rpm pushes the injectors too close to their limit, so they get stuck open. Some think you need to fill up the tank with regular gas every 4-5 fillups to help keep them lubricated. Or maybe injectors failing is rare and nothing needs to be done.

I found this thread on E85 in which Bend Calibration suggests cleaning your injectors yearly! And other people suggesting getting more frequent oil changes (every 3k miles!) And suggestions that you shouldn't leave your car parked for more than a week! on a tank of E85. I'm trying to figure out how necessary all of this advice is. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758624

Most of the threads I've found are a year+ old at this point so hopefully we can get some more recent experience in here.
Injector problems can be more than one issue, but they're not overly common. There's these two things:

1) Kratos confirmed this with Bosch engineers… When running HPFP pressure above normal pressures (>3600?) the gate inside can break. This causes a "stuck injector" that does not fix if cleaned, it keeps leaking. In this case you're over fueling a cylinder and the car bogs/chugs, white smoke, stinky tailpipes… This problem is the one where people run Top Lube (Power Plus grape?) to try and prevent the issue, but lube doesn't help. If an injector is gonna break it's usually found out early in E85 tuning when fueling is worked out.

2) A dirty or clogged injector can come from debris or gunk/slime. Some crap fuel has an additive that doesn't mix with E right (you gotta search for the thread). Also, E left in the tank unused long term will absorb moisture. This might be where the "gas every three tanks/months" comes from. Yes, a fuel filter can help catch the gunk or debris upstream from your engine.

And there may be more issues I've missed or forgotten. I hope above helps de-stress.

I installed M5 injectors to supply more fuel at standard pressures, and a filter came with my LPFP kit so it got installed too.