View Single Post
      12-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #14
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

I'd like to be clear that I'm not talking bad about PTP; the company or their product. They make a great product and have a place in the market, no doubt.

I'm just trying to share what I know, not argue. Underhood and underbody thermal management is quite literally my business, designing and manufacturing components direct for OEMs. So I'm quite familiar with the raw materials these turbo blankets (woven basalt and kaowool). I have them in my plants and lab, and even samples in my office.

These materials are well known to be excellent high temperature insulators, and as such a blanket made of them is not going to act as a radiator pulling heat from the source. That's just not how they work, and I don't see PTP making that claim on their website.

Holding that heat in on the hot side of the turbo is actually why they work to increase performance. It lowers temps on the intake ("cool") side, and allows the turbo to achieve and maintain operating temperature faster, however that equilibrium of normal operating temperature may be higher than otherwise without the blanket, if there isn't adequate cooling capacity like I was mentioning earlier. If there's an excess of cooling capacity, it may have no meaningful impact on longevity at all!

JellyStyle The intent of my first reply about these blankets was to share knowledge to help make an informed decision; remembering what were important considerations of turbo and powertrain engineers I've personally worked with in the past. It sounds like you are comfortable in making the decision that is right for you, which is great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0