View Single Post
      08-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Panamera Drive-- Awesome Car

I had a chance to drive a 2010 Panamera 4S for about 30 minutes today. First, hats off to Porsche for this car. It raises the bar for performance sports sedans. The event was first class.

Like most people, I had to wait to see the car in person before I knew if I would liked the design - specifically the rear end. To be honest, the car looks fantastic strong and bold in person. It oozes the look and feel of a 911. The lines and bold shoulders on the car is very sporty and is unmistakable Porsche. The car sat lower than I had thought and has a long wheelbase like the F01. The rear design with it's hatchback is unique and fits the overall low slung profile of this car. In fact, on the drive, it is certainly a head turner. People were GAWKING at this car - it looks exotic and drives like an exotic. My wife was noticing all the people checking this car out from her view in the back seat. I was too busy pushing the PDK to it's limit

The interior does have alot of buttons! But if you look at the groupings closely - it is logical and symetrical. I didn't mind the buttons at all. If fact the 5 cluster dash is very cool - with an integrated nav map and scrollable information like the F01/F02. The fit and finish is to die for... The richness of the leathers and materials makes my F01 and M5 feel a bit.... *cough* a bit cheap. The view out of the C pillar, as expected, is poor. The back seat is really nice. I like the two seat GT feel. I am 6'1 and had no problems adjusting the front driver's seat- then sitting in the back comfortably. The headroom was very good. The interior packaging - with it's scooped seat backs and concave seats makes it very roomy. You can also buy up to 4 custom suitcases - painted the same color as the car.

The drive.... I would say this car is balance like an M5 with better agility and steering feel. The steering precision is soooo comfortable that you immediately feel at ease driving the car and the cocoon shape feels very "safe". The steering feel is heavier than the F01 - and is perfect in my opinion for a sedan this size. I wish their steering wheel was a fraction larger - but not as thick as an M wheel. It is still thicker than my F01 with the sport wheel. The car is accelerates in about 4.6 sec and is AWD. I loved the thick exhaust sound. In fact there was a button that electonically controlled the exhaust. Very cool. The torque wsThe car was very nimble and even though it did not have 4 wheel steering like my F01- you can point and shoot this car all over the road. Luckily, we had the Highway 1 route towards Big Sur. Great views in a great car.

In summary, I really enjoyed the Panamera. Some of you may never like the look of the side profile or rear end. But I survived 2 E65 Bangle Butt 7 series and I can tell you that the design is very sporty and elegant. My F01 feels and looks very mainstream and pedestrian to me now.

I think I may get one now...... More to come
Attached Images

Last edited by SpotM5; 08-10-2009 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0