08-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #49
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4greenleaves View Post
I see many of these on the road today driving around... Funny I don't see many older BMWs...I wonder why??
For the same reason why you don't see many old Honda Civics or Subaru WRX's. The fast ones have been crashed, the slow ones cost more to maintain than they were worth.

If you buy a car with cutting edge technology you pay a surcharge in both price and reliability. When that cutting edge technology goes mainstream it gets cheaper and more reliable, then the cars with the less advanced technology for the day last longer than the 'cutting-edge' ones.

Look, if you'd purchased a 328i or a 525d, I'd be right up there with you saying "unreliable is unacceptable". But you bought a 750.

People who buy flagship BMW's, Mercs, Rolls Royces don't care about reliability as long as they don't get stranded. For the first owner, the car is under warranty, and chances are if you've got a new 7 series, you've got a second or third car to go with it.

Just like how people still keep buying Patek Philippe watches, even though they keep worse time than a $10 quartz, and need to be sent back to Switzerland every 5 years for a service.

Imagine paying more than $30,000 for a watch that keeps worse time than a $3 watch, then not be able to wear it for 6 months every 5 years because it's being serviced?

Complaining about the cost of repairs in a 750 is like complaining about the servicing cost of a Porche 911 or the fuel economy of a SRT Hellcat.

It's easy enough to blame the first-owners of these cars, but did _you_ do any research before buying? If 'everyone [you] know who has or had a bimmer lives to eventually regret it' why did you buy one?

Toyota make some of the most reliable cars in the world.

German cars are reliable when they're compared with French, English, Italian, Australian and American cars. They're known for their cutting-edge engineering, their performance, their driver feedback, their ability to handle autobahn speeds, their responsiveness to driver input... Not their reliability, Not their resale value and certainly not their total cost of ownership. That's what Japanese cars are known for.

I mean - I'm with you. My car is ten years old, the glue on the back window has given way, and it means a whole new ($7,000) roof. Speaking to other owners, they're like "oh yeah, I had my roof replaced three times under warranty". Seriously?! How bloody hard is it to manufacture a fabric top for a car in 2008?! Thirty-year-old Mazda Miatas generally still have their original roof. Why is it acceptable? ... well, the original owners didn't care, because it was replaced under warranty. BMW doesn't care because it gave the original owners good reason to sell it and buy a new BMW at the end of the warranty period. Second-hand BMW owners care, but we also like the fact that second-hand BMW's cost half as much as second-hand Porsche's and have twice as much power as second-hand Mazdas/Toyotas/Subarus etc.
Don't like it? ... well, buy a Mazda/Toyota/Subaru.

Have you considered a Lexus?
I think it's going to be more what you're looking for.
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
001BMW0.00