07-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
If reducing your carbon footprint is a concern, a diesel car is an immediate 30% reduction compared to gas. This also translates to 30% less fuel burned as well.

I have an F10 535d in Canada (same in US, 530d elsewhere) and I bought it for the economy. I didn't consider the environmental impact, I consider the impact to my wallet. A gas 535i would have me shelling out 30% more for fuel, and more in the winter (it gets pretty cold here in Ottawa).

Why would a new 730d make sense? A lot of people who achieve financial status enabling shopping a new 7-Series are not in the business of wasting money. If your daily driver can be comfortable and powerful while being more efficient, why not? Showing off with a V12 is fun, but not smart financially. To each their own.

The DPF in my car is estimated to last about 260k km (based on the car's internal software), and if that ends up being true I'll be satisfied. As far as driving slow and screwing up the DPF, I'm pretty sure steady state 60+ MPH will keep the DPF happy. For them to maintain 64 MPG I don't think there were many regen cycles happening on that trip.

Diesel scares a lot of people, not sure why. Fear of the unknown I guess. It's always less uncomfortable to stick with what makes you warm and fuzzy inside. Soot chucker? Pretty inaccurate of any modern diesel.

North America has, and continues to embrace diesel trucks. The dieselgate scandal certainly didn't help (thanks VW group/Mercedes), pretty much nailing the coffin shut on passenger car diesel.

Let's all fool ourselves that the move to electric [...]

Do you burn the same amount of oil? In the US refineries refine approx twice the amount of gasoline per barrel of oil compared to diesel.

This makes sense since diesel is a heavier distillate.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0