View Single Post
      02-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #69
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thanks for the link. I now remember reading this back around the time it was published, but as you point out, BMW has since adopted the belt driven system across their lineup on the B47, B57, and B58.

Perhaps the next generation of gas/diesel models will switch to an integrated system. However, it would seem that the window is closing. We already know much of the G70 model lineup, and it is very PHEV and BEV heavy. Given that focus, is it worth investing more in the MHEV engines at this point? The lifespan could be limited since it is entirely conceivable that, starting with the following generation at the end of this decade, every model in the entire BMW lineup will be PHEV or BEV.

I think the direction they choose with the B48, since it has not yet received a 48V system, could be a good indicator of where they will go. Alternately, the S58 that you mentioned and the upcoming new S68 are also slated for 48V, so those present another possibility to begin the switch to ISG. But for right now, I don't think we can call this a slam dunk.
Appreciate 0