View Single Post
      05-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Ultimately these are cars I don't own and never wish to own. It doesn't excite me to see my favorite brands design language go to complete comedy but it is what it is. The difference between this new design language and bengals back in the day was that this is just redesign for the sake of doing it. There's no forward flow that reflects the past cars.

There is no longer range cohesiveness. The 3 doesn't look like the 5 like the 7 etc. which cheapens the brand a lot. The F30/F10/F01 for example is exactly what I'm talking about. They all look like bmws. And the higher range cars look like more premium versions of the other.

I say a lot on these forums and owners of cars like the G8X get annoyed at me because it rubs them the wrong way that I don't like a car they spent 80k on but I can assure you as someone in many different car communities online and in the real world, most people do not take to these new designs well at all. The current gen 4 and M3/4 which have been around for a while now are still negatively looked at. The best comments I see are "it looks ok in black." Well You should have to get a car in black with black accents to just hide the design language entirely to make it "ok" to look at. The non m sport versions of these cars are especially hideous and there's subtle things about the new 7 that are just pointless in design. It's not even the grille either because for the record, I didn't mind the facelifted G11 grille. Because the rest of the car actually looked like the car it replaced.

TL;DR- new bmws are insanely impressive on the road as drivers cars but horrible to look at.

End rant
I think the M3/4/M4 are getting more normalized. I keep hearing anecdotally that people are getting used to it.

There's definitely going to be some backlash whenever a new design comes out, that's almost a given.

I don't know why you would want a 7-Series to look like a 3-Series. Brand cohesiveness is one thing, but outright confusion is another. I get the previous generation C/E/S-Class confused regularly.

I think BMW is doing the right thing by having it's ultra-luxury and more-sporty models have a different look. If a person wanted a blend-in "normal" looking car, they'd get a 3 or a 5 (or an Audi A8!). If you get a 7 or a 4, you're probably looking for something different, so BMW's designs reflect that.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24829.00
Swappy531.50