12-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #73
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
I'd say the price increase is definitely curious. As some have said, BMW clearly doesn't do this without considerable analysis. And yet, the economy seems to be trending in the cool down direction. Hard to know really.

I work in financial services, so I am somewhat immersed in "expert" exposure. I'd say there are three types of experts. First are the traditional Doctoral-level economists. They study the past and try to apply everything they've learned to the present. Second are the long-tenured industry experts...the ones who have seen it all, except for the next thing. They generally shrug their shoulders and move on. Finally, there are the experts who made one big call once and got famous on it. They rarely make the same prescient call a second time. What do they all have in common? They almost never see the next thing coming. Example: FTX.

I'm in the camp that there will be discounts soon. I don't think that has to involve a terrible recession or crash, though it could. Mostly, it's just that price increases coupled with interest rates will reach a crescendo or critical mass. At that point they'll have to come down. It's the natural course of things.
In FS too and worked at largest asset managers in the world with very smart colleagues, but this (bold) is funny and spot on...

Things can change very quickly for items like houses/mortgages, cars and lux items, esp with the quick changes we're seeing in the economy/Fed and they aren't done. Better half's company (very large mortgage co) just had 4th or 5th layoff this year...last year, she was working tons of OT. She "unfortunately" made it through another layoff (her words).

I'm still of the belief unless you absolutely need a vehicle now, hold off, prices will be, and continue, to come down. Feel the same about housing. Unless you have GFY $$, I guess it doesn't really matter, but that's a very small minority.

Bump this thread in a yr....