View Single Post
      02-04-2023, 06:04 PM   #6
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
I would be going in the first week of April. I don't mind cold, but I was hoping it would be sunny at least. What do you think?

I took Hwy 50 to Montrose (we skipped Buena Vista and went down to Royal Gorge from CO Springs. A 30 mile side trip up to Crested Butte out of Gunnison on Hwy 50 wouldn't kill anyone either ). I said Durango because you really shouldn't miss Hwy 550 north, back to Montrose. The map below is the San Juan Skyway. It would take an extra day, but if you went counter clockwise you could see Telluride, Mesa Verde and then north up 550 back to Montrose. Really something. Gotta be one of the most scenic stretches of road in the country.
Attachment 3096861

At the very least, run down to Telluride then back to Ourey and go down 550 as far as Silverton before turning back. You won't be disappointed. But, mid-April may just be a little early for the passes.

If you are firm on the dates, Badlands and Mt Rushmore might be your best option.
I am not sure on the dates yet. I might be locked to April 5th. I could probably push this to May 15th too. I really hate waiting the extra month if it isn't going to affect the weather much. Do you think the weather would be that much different? Also, I figured that Mount Rushmore in April wouldn't be very drivable in a convertible with summer tires.

Do you think doing the loop in Telluride is very important vs just going south from Montrose to Durango and then to Moab and back home?

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 3.59.49 PM.png
Views: 340
Size:  939.3 KB
Appreciate 0