View Single Post
      05-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #715
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Using modern BMW ZF EPS feel as a benchmark is sort of like using Cadillac's median buyer age to talk about how woke your buyers are. I stand by BRZ steering feel sucking. Extensive road and track time with them does not impress me.

It's only funny because it's true.

I let my friend drive my MZ4 Coupe once. He's been extolling the virtues of his F30 328i and how sharp and precise the steering is.

Then he proceeds to go wide eyed and "holy sh*t omg" all the way down the twisty mountain road. Every single turn. "Holy sh*t. OMG. Holy sh*t. OMG."

You don't know what you don't know until you know. My other toy has been virtually universally praised for its implementation of electric power steering assist. To a man, the journos all praise the C7 Corvette as having a fantastic steering feel and amazingly responsive front end.

To that, the MZ4 Coupe says "b*tch hold my beer" every time I hop back in. Again, the C7 Corvette does have a fantastic front end grip and excellent feedback, for an electrically assisted steering.

But hold a candle to the mighty Servotronic hydraulic steering from the late 90s and early 80s it can not. IT. CAN. NOT. You don't know what real steering feel FEELS like unless you've driven an E36 M3 or variants using it's steering rack design (Z3 M, Z4 M). Heck I'd even trade the Corvette's vaunted "steering feel" for something resembling the steering from my E46 323Ci.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00