View Single Post
      08-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quick M5/M6 "P-Mode" question....

We all know about the Power button in the M5 and M6 that can engage either the full 507hp when activated, or just limit the engine to 400hp when not activated.

So my question is, what is actually happening technologically and mechanically that is able to limit so much power in a naturally aspirated engine. How do you electronically control horse power, especially in a naturally aspirated car that doesn't give you options like boost/turbos to play with? I would understand it if we had such a button in the 335 because I could see where the power was coming from. Things like limiting boost, fuel, and air.....but what about in an N/A car?

What is the engine/car doing to limit itself down to 400hp and then make a whopping leap to 500hp? We're talking about an extra 100hp. So what is it? VANOS? Limiting fuel/air ratios? Or what?

Does this question make sense?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0