View Single Post
      05-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #10
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
I tend to change insurer almost every year, so can’t remember which one at the time. My last encounter with modifications was c. 2011 with a 2009 A8 when I had to pay for the increased HP following an ECU remap, as it was more than 10%. I asked about other things too, and whilst they said I could change wheels and tyres no issue, as soon as you go for a non-standard tyre size, they classed it as a modification to manufacturer spec and it was notifiable. When I asked about the implications of not notifying, they told me that in the event of a relevant claim, they check for any modifications.
Thanks. My 740Ld is the first car I have not modified in the last 15yrs, yet. So I'm well versed in the modified insurance although I generally stuck to Adrian Flux or Chris Knott insurances as, especially when I had my Skoda vRS's, power levels were in excess of 50% increase. One was at circa 90% (standard 207bhp and modified was 387bhp). I also upgraded brakes, wheels, tyres etc and every time I mentioned tyres they said that didn't matter as long as they were road legal. I guess it must depend on the insurer. I had heard of some trying to get out of paying if winter tyres weren't fitted. But that got kicked into touch quite rapid due to them to being a legal requirement in UK.

I think the only thing I will do with the 740Ld is fit the AC Schnitzer upgrade. At least then I have a warranty with them. But they're damn expensive compared to a remap.

To the OP if you do fit the tyres post up a pic of the wheels. I am interested to see what they would look like.
Appreciate 0