AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
Thank you. Finally a real world buyers review. I know we get hung up on the tech of these cars, but forget to analyze the basics. Keep 'em coming folks. Would love more ride/handling/steering comparisons to the G12 750 vs. the new 760.
I just finished a 190 miles round trip with mostly highway but some stop and go local roads as well. I come from a G12 750. The G70 to me feels bigger but, strangely, more nimbler. I had IAS on the G12; I think they have tuned it or revised it as my impression is the turning circle is reduced, meaning cornering is crisper. Driving in Sport mode, it handles like a much smaller car -- like a 5 series I would say. Interior is more comfortable than the G12 -- but they are close. That's completely subjective of course because "comfort" is not something you can measure. Space in the rear seats seems slightly smaller but still lots of room there. Trunk is just about identical. I am still in the first 300 miles so the car is in its break-in mode and even if it weren't I wouldnt be testing straight line maximum acceleration during break-in anyhow. ID8 is a drastic change from ID7, and at first it is a bit daunting, but after a short period of time, and use of shortcuts on the screen, it is pretty easy to find what you need. There are some ID8 quirks that I don't like and will have to get used to: In id7 when it starts raining and you want to put your headlights on, it is a quick flick of the rotary headlamp switch. To do that in id8 requires going though a couple of screens -- even though there is a button on the dash for lights, all it does it take you to the lighting menu. Maybe theres a way to get the headlights on with pushes of that button but I haven't found it. The usual shortcut buttons we had in id7 -- for radio stations, etc., are now all electronic "presets". The good news there is you have both Presets for Media and Shortcuts - up to 8 for anything you want.
Finally, I thought driving in sport mode disables ASS but from what I have seen it does not. ASS is extremely unobtrusive on this car, so this is something else that I may just have to get used to.

One thing for sure, it is extremely quiet -- much quieter than a G12 and it is awfully easy for the speed to creep up unnoticed. Best to be careful about law enforcement.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 12-10-2022 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 4
KK22137.50
werdn656.00
AlexFL7836.00