View Single Post
      06-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Darkmann
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Don't know what BMW you have, but without the kit and without room to store a busted tire, stay with the run-flat. I have a MB ML500 with non run-flats. A few years back, on a 10 Hr trip to North Carolina, I had a flat. With a fully loaded trunk and 5 passengers, it was a nightmare storing the busted 19" wheel/tire in the cabin until my next service center. My 2012 X5 3.5 came with run flats. I switched to non-run flats and purchased the kit. Shortly after, I went back to run flats simply because they drove just as well and I didn't want to have the ML experience. Sold 2012 X5 and now have a 2017 X5 5.0 M-Sport with massive Dunlop SSRs. They drive just as well as any non run-flats, so I'll keep them. I also have a 2018 M3 which will never see run flats until run-flats drive like the non run-flat OEM Michelins. If you get my drift here - spirited driving = non run-flats.

As far as fixing run-flats, I had two on the M5 3.5 and one on the 5.0 fixed, both from nail puncture in the center area. They 3.5 drove for another 50K with no issues. The 5.0 is still running with no issues. You can have them patched by a pro shop. Otherwise you'd have to replace both to satisfy BMW's minimum thread depth difference requirement for traction control warranty.

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-01-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1