11-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
With the mirrors setup properly, I could literally watch someone drive into my blind spot until they were next to me in my Camaro. The only time it was ever an issue is on weird slanted cross roads.

People have this issue where they want to point their side mirrors at the side of their car, and not out into their blind spot.

PFA

One thing they never teach in teen driving school is correct mirror placement via proper adjustment procedures AND situational awareness. Properly designed mirrors should eliminate most all but a very small blind spot and that blind spot should be inconsequential if you begin to make a lane move. My E30 had wonderful mirrors, nice and big and fully adjustable to eliminate blind spots. They were good enough to make a 2-lane move with high confidence (the huge rear window helped too I need to honestly say). When I moved to my E90 I have to say I was disappointed with the side mirror design. IMO they do not adjust outward far enough (mine are set to max outward adjustment and are barely adequate). Blind spot alert would drive me crazy.

But if you want to drive a car with difficult visibility, try a BMW E86 Z4 Coupe. I have one, and can easily drive it aggressively in heavy, but moving traffic. It took some time to get used to and it's the polar opposite of the E30. With the Camaro, one advantage to blind spot monitoring is the right pedal...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0