View Single Post
      03-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
Aeromotive
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: you bonkers

Getting the best value out of my lease trade-in (buy out)

Hello all,

I currently drive a 2018 340i M Performance Edition, for which I extended the lease twice (4 months total) because of the unending delays with the M3 order. The tires (20" RFT, mind you) are worn out and a meteorite smashed my windshield, which I didn't get fixed since I was getting rid of the car *soon*, or so I thought (I knew I wouldn't get all my money back for fixing it anyways).

My current dealer offered $3800 positive equity when they appraised my car back in September 2021. They were confident they could give me the same amount a few months later (the value goes down but so does the residual) when the M3 would arrive.

Another BMW dealer offered 2800$.

I understand that the used car market is even hotter than it was a few months ago, and I'd like to take advantage of it.

What are my options to have a dealer buy out my lease? I want to avoid purchasing the car myself because I'd have to pay a $999 admin fee and taxes. Can a non-BMW reseller buy it out? I'm ready to shop around.

It's my first time doing this. Any tips are welcome!

N.B.: I can't trade it in to save on taxes because the M3 will be leased under a business.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 03-18-2022 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0