View Single Post
      12-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #19
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

In the words of Mills Lane: "I'll Allow It!" While I'm sure (read: hoping) those tiny lights at the top die a slow and painful death, I'm liking where the aesthetic BMW is going for.

If you're trying to market your cars to a higher end crowd (and vs — self/owner professed — higher end car makers — PORSCHE — cough!) I think you've gotta think outside the box. You want head turners so to speak. You want to be in Atlanta, The "Exotic-Car-I-Can't-Afford" Capital of America, or Miami/SoBe it's Spanish Cousin, and have gawkers asking each other "What kinda car was THAT!?". Some will be flummoxed with amazement, others will think they're hideous George Foreman's on wheels.

The point is, BMW is a rap video away from becoming mainstream cool again. Whatever constitutes that these days. (See e.g: Jay-Z/Beyoncé stumping for Tiffany in front of a Basquiat after LVMH took over; Lewis Hamilton in…gasp…Tommy Hilfiger; the popularity of the new Vette amongst certain segments of the younger set)

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably the biggest BMW hype man out there, but I don't see the excitement for ///M cars, outside of our wonderful community that is, for Bimmers that I do for other brands. I think Maseratis are FUGLY, but boy do they turn heads at valet. Teslas are aight, but when my cousin w 3 teslas got into our X5M Competition he was genuinely surprised with how far BMW had come. I think BMW has to attract a younger crowd of buyers. Look at the threads asking about age and marital status of BMW owners. I see a lot of guys in their 30s-40s. Whether we like it or not, their segment is aging…and buying Audis.

Admittedly this is a rather elitist (and quite possibly totally off base) view. But I'm getting the sense that BMW may be tired of being looked at, largely, as Ford's rich German cousin.
Appreciate 1