Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
How does this affect the warranty when you hard wire a camera? Is the warranty null and void because the wiring has been tempered with?

Thanks.
Hi, a good question, first I'll start out by saying I am not an expert in this and so my comments are subjective and my opinion only but hopefully they help understand the potential issue:

Effectively, your warranty will be fine as long as any aftermarket item has not been found to be the cause of the issue that would need warranty cover. In other words, as long as the fault was in no way able to be traced back to an electrical issue caused by wiring in to the fuse box or however you have wired/installed a dash cam, you'll be fine, if there is plausible cause that the dash cam did cause any electrical damage (or some other interior fittings damage) then BMW could step back and potentially say 'it happened when you installed this dash cam' and is not our responsibility. (that's how I interpret it and in simple language, again, I am no expert and have not couched my language to cover all interpretations!

You may install one and have no issues and therefore no problem with warranty, however, if you install one and it is not covered under manufacturer warranty, then you want to at least be aware of the risk and decide if that is something you are worried about or not.

Hope that helps.

BMW ACE and ACE2 are from BMW so as long as they install, you would have no issues at all, I have tried to find any marketing material that stated this as I remember reading about it somewhere but of course can't find it just now.

Safe travels.