View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

My GT3 Experience at PECLA

First of all, it was amazing. I want to get that out of the way. I had a Pro with me the whole time (Thanks Zack) and he was informative, patient, just an all around great guy.

The car itself, I mean what can I say that hasn't already been said? From my amateur POV, it is a SAVAGE BEAST. I mean, it is BRUTAL. Fun is not the word I would use to describe it. It is a WEAPON. I joked with the Pro driver about how he must get a bunch of people who come to him with "I've driven a few quick cars in my day," but the GT3 was so much above and beyond any vehicle I've ever driven (or been a passenger in).

We started the day off with some car control activities, basically a low friction circle and a kick plate low friction course. Both are low speed activities designed to show you how to recover in a spin (and personally, to knock your self confidence down a notch or two )

We progressed to a short inside course where we performed a few full throttle launches with the launch control engaged, followed by rapid deceleration (all in a straight line). I think I felt my peripheral vision closing in the first time I launched it. I lifted about 80% of the way through the first time - probably my sense of survival kicking in. Funny how the GT3 isn't even Porsche's fastest straight line car. Those carbon ceramics REALLY haul the car down in a hurry. It's unbelievable how fast this thing stops. AND THE SOUND!!

We did the left side acceleration course next, which includes a little carousel at the end (a la Nurburgring). This starts with a full throttle launch, down to the end, tap the brakes to scrub some speed, then enter the 30 degree? banked carousel, and then full throttle out and back down the same direction you came, followed by a hard brake at the end. SO. AMAZING. This part really makes you feel like a hero.

Lastly, there's a handling course in the middle where everything is tied together. The Pro drove first. Easy on the first lap, and then he turned it up to "medium fast." I literally couldn't think fast enough. It really showed what the GT3 was capable of. As you're barreling in towards a turn, you really start thinking that we should be braking, but he continues full throttle, then hauls it down, and the car just pulls through the turn with so much mechanical grip. Those Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s were STICKY at the end. Literally, sticky. You could push your nail into them.

What a fantastic experience. And in my opinion, money well spent.
Appreciate 4