12-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf3472 View Post
I think what youre hearing is the "efficient dynamics". Behind your front kidney grill are two vents that open and close depending if the radiator needs cooling or not. Its supposed to reduce fuel consumption when they are closed. This is from BMW's website

Open to increased efficiency.
A constant airflow through the radiator increases air resistance and affects aerodynamics. Electrically controlled vents in front of the radiator open and close the cooling air inlets so that the vents are only opened if cooling air is required. When the vents are closed, air resistance is reduced, as is fuel consumption
If memory serves me right, this function is only on the 740d and 740i but not on the 750 and 760 models. I had looked at all of these different features when the F01/F02 first where introduced and found it rather strange that the 750 did not have that feature, but I think it has something to do with the amount of heat the 4.4l TTV8 generates...

There are other features that where originally listed on the F01/F02 in regards to the efficient dynamics but they didn't make it onto the north American market!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0