04-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcurtis
Hi

I recently purchased a 2014 760Li and have been experiencing a very odd noise and seemingly light vibration when accelerating at speeds of around 60-75MPH.

Initially I had assumed that it was a wheel balance issue but this failed to resolve the issue.

The noise, which is difficult to describe, is somewhat similar to the 'turbulence' heard when driving at speed with the front window open, but no rear window for the air to pass through. It could also be described as a 'droning' sound.

Further testing proved that the noise is unaffected by cornering, the gear selected or the RPM of the engine. It only occurs when accelerating, and does not occur if 'coasting' or simply driving at these speeds.

My dealer decided to replace the drive-shaft, but this did not resolve the problem. They then switched out all the wheels with ones of the same size from another vehicle. When the problem persisted they raised a ticket and submitted data to the BMW North America Transmission Dept. who determined that the noise is (and I quote) "the consequence of a known problem with the F01/F02 DME(Engine Management) and EGS(Transmission Management) software calibration. Replacement parts will not correct the issue and no additional repairs were recommended."

Upon querying this with the dealer, at my request, they replied to the determination to ask if a fix is being worked on and when it might be available. The reply received, although not expressly saying so, indicates that there is currently no work being undertaken to resolve the issue and that a fix should not be expected.

So, where do I go from here?

Do other F01/F02 drivers experience this issue? Is it a problem known to forum members, or should I be directing the dealer to look at alternative likely causes for the issue?

Are there any independent BMW experts in or around Florida that I should ask to look at the vehicle?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Where in FL and which Dealership? If you're not comfortable posting, feel free to PM me.

I can think of a few possible causes. Since it's acceleration influenced, a flat spot rear tire or a wheel balance issue that occurs when the harmonic vibrations from the wheel/tire, output shafts, and drive shaft hit the same frequency. I can also imagine a scenario with airflow through the wheel spokes buffeting with Integral Active Steering positioning of the rear wheels.

Your car is basically the same as my Ghost and I do not have any vibration or buffeting sound. I do have that with the ///M5 at 89-104mph and have yet to resolve it. My previous 760Li had several issues including transmission and drive shaft defects.
Appreciate 0