View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
slowhatch
Rep
Drives: F01 LCI 750i

So as I stated earlier I couldnt live with the 4 bolt holes in the front bumper so I planned to have it repaired. Just as well, upon closer inspection I found that the bumper had been sloppily repainted/touched-up in the past (you can see some of the contaminants in the clear from spraying in a poor environment), so it was a chance to make that right. There was also dimpling in the black trim from rock impacts, the grilles had been weathered and were turning gray, rock chips galore, and the usual underside front clip abrasion from improper entry/departure angles and parking curbs.

The car was dropped off at a good friends shop (CMS Collision) to have all of the aforementioned repaired. Additionally, I procured some black kidneys from Bimmian, and instructed the shop to color match the ugly amber reflectors to the body color.

While the bumper was off I took the time to clean the condensor, oil cooler, and tranny cooler of any debris, leaves, etc. I also cleaned up all the surrounding plastic trim and inner kidneys; restored it to black, and made otherwise sure that anything that could be seen through the mesh was tidy, and black.

I then set out to restore the lower mesh. Not exactly difficult work by any stretch, just a pain in the ass to get into all of the crevices.

Cleaned;

Restored;

All said and done I dropped the grilles back off at the shop and a few days later I got this beauty back :heart:

I was really afraid the black grilles were going to look out of place on the 7, but I was very happy after I saw it in person. It ties it all together for me and looks better than I envisioned. Same to be said about the reflectors, which disappear into the bumper at anything more than a few feet away.

Before/After

Before/After

Appreciate 0