View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #44
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

For a dang good reason - if the Government can spy/store/analyze, they will.

And spy/store/analyze they do -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

The 4th Amendment says the Government can't force you to give up your deep, dark secrets without a warrant, but if you voluntarily give the details of your private life to the Government in the name of convenience, well, allrighty then.

Me? I personally don't do "cloud" anything. "Cloud" is just a fancy term for somebody else's computer. A "somebody else" you will never meet, you don't know and probably don't even know where they are.

Having said that - I do have a smart home, well, sorta. I custom designed mine. I'm using an Allen-Bradley SLC500. My attic vents open/close with preset temp limits, same with my foundation vents. I water the lawn, clean the pool, drain the hot tub, all with the push of a button and no internet, no "cloud". Motion sensors inside the house keep track of me and if the outside sensors get tripped while I am inside, it tells me the pizza is here.
To your 4th amendment statement about the government can not force you give it up freely if you do not you exercise your right to privacy . I am waiting for some government lawyer to argue you do not have any expectation of privacy since you knowing and freely gave third parties free access to your personal information. Police can not listen to what you said in your home without a Warrant, but they can listen to everything you said in public all for the sole reason you have no expectation of privacy in public space or a space which you do not own or control.

There is already case law on companies trying to go after someone for sharing trade secrets. The court have said unless the company can show they taken every precaution to protect the information they can not go after someone for share information if the company did not have history of doing everything they could to protect it.

You can see someone in government saying you have no reasonable expectation of privacy since Google knows, and Alexia knows, Nest Knows everything you are doing in your house and especially in the bedroom and you openly invited them in so why would you expect to have privacy. We already have the government fighting to gain access to your locked iPhone. and they want to see every bad thing you make have recorded on your iPhone.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-13-2019 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0