View Single Post
      04-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
fl0950
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW B7 Alpina

5 Month Review of 2020 Alpina B7

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
First some background. Long time BMW owner, most recently a 2018 M550i but before that numerous 7 Series, most recently a Carbon Black 2014 750i. I wanted a daily driver to complement my '18 911T and '19 Cayenne. I considered an S63, A8 (S8 wasn't out when I bought the B7 in December) and standard 7 Series. I was intrigued with the B7 for its combination of comfort and performance, so found this car in Minneapolis. The dealer also had a black/black B7 but seeing them both side by side, I thought the Azurite was more unique. Options include:

Azurite Black II Metallic
Amarone Brown/Black Full Merino Leather
Luxury Rear Seating
Ambient Air
Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
LED w/laserlight
Bowers & Wilkins

As to the color, you can see the blue in the sunlight, but in shade it's pretty subdued, sometimes appearing black. It has a greater depth than my previous Carbon Black 750i. The interior is difficult to describe, and I'm color blind green/red, so to me it's more brown than an Amarone wine would be, but it's a good combination with the Azurite in my opinion. I know there is a lot of discussion about the front grill, but the car has real presence overall, and I actually think it's a good design. The subtle Alpina exterior enhancements certainly make a difference in that regard.

One of the first things I noticed was how smooth the car was over bad pavement, much more than my 5 series was. That's important to me given the lousy condition of local roads. Even in Sport mode, it's a very smooth and controlled ride. It's also incredibly quiet, although putting the transmission in Sport, or the mode in Sport seems to bring a bit more aggressive exhaust note. I didn't want a loud car, one of the reasons I wasn't crazy about the S63 which was too loud under hard acceleration. I like the fact that I can drive the B7 like any 7 Series, but the available power and responsiveness is fantastic. Very Jekyll and Hyde, in a good way. Most people probably see it as just another 7, which I'm fine with.

So having driven about 3000 miles so far, I'm very happy with the car. The Bowers and Wilkins is great and wireless Apple Car Play works every time. Alpina does an excellent job of enhancing the interior, from the leather on the steering wheel, to the graphics on the screens, the piano black trim, and the illuminated Alpina door sills. I've never used gesture control, and I turn off all driver aids except active cruise control, which works pretty well with occasional false positives. I've tried the ambient air package and I can't seem to detect much, although my wife claims she can smell the various scents. The massaging seats actually work well although I haven't used them much. The LED lights are great, and I love the look of the daytime running lights. So far I don't have any real complaints about the car as it has fulfilled my intended use, so overall very happy I went for the B7 vs. a standard 7.
Attached Images

Appreciate 24
SYT_Shadow11468.50
AlexFL7835.00
am3r1ka1413.00
AndrewC198910910.50
Vervain397.50
M5 London332.50
530iDriver1707.50
bjcarls458.50
Sedan_Clan24980.50
Fuller1216.50