Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Remember it like yesterday.

I am Australian and Indycar was on at around 1am and i'd stay up to watch it. I am always an optimist with race car crashes, i figure they guy will be ok 99% time.

But this one, this crash, i knew right away either Moore or Capentier was dead, it was an absolute plane crash.

I will never forget the commentators, who did an excellent job that day, say "we're going to hold on the name of the driver until we have confirmation" ..... then they saw Carpentier circulating so knew it was Moore.

I always imagine those two families watching that race, not knowing if their son was dead, that cold fear, in a split second it was a 50/50 chance your boy was gone, and the Moore's showed tails.
A few years later having breakfast in one of the hotels near Pocono, it's a NASCAR race near the end of Patrick's professional career. Patrick is trying to get a bagel toaster to work with little success. So as I watch my wife walks up behind him and starts this animated conversation about the rubbish bagel toasters, Patrick chimes right in complete with Gallic hand and arm gestures. This goes on for about 10 minutes until Patrick goes back to the table where his wife and kid are and my wife comes over to where my son and I are. Patrick is a prince in my book. Poiseuille Jr says " hey mom, do you know who that is?" Of course she doesn't. So I go into the whole story about Patrick and Greg and Forsyth and CART and Lolas and how Tony George was a complete villain. Got quite long winded I did, and a little misty for those days. Still do, looks like.
Appreciate 0