View Single Post
      02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
My understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is that indeed, in 2016 and in 2017 you could and can still buy a 730d without comfort rear seats (which means the seats are fixed in position and are not electric).

There is precious little to be found as to what 'comfort' seats means in the rear of the current G series 7. My take on it is that the seats are one solid fixed construction across the back and are not electric as 'standard'. Comfort means electric independent rear seat adjustment and that each seat can be separately moved up, down, forward, back and rear tilt as well as shoulder area moved forward with lumbar support. I have seen the comfort seats also called 'multi-contoured' seats which would also be correct as the upper seat area can be adjusted forwards or backwards in relation to the lower back area.

All G series (7's) have heated rear seats.

Ventilation and massage are options.

(all above is only for UK market and only for base models, the 740, 750 or 760 may have these as standard, however, for the 725 and 730 models comfort seats and therefore electric seat adjustment in the rear is an option that needs to be a part of a package or trim.)

If you order 'exclusive' or M Sport, you'll get comfort rear seats. Order a base 725d or 730d without those or without a package including rear comfort seats and you won't.

Again, there is precious little in terms of images showing the difference but I believe the images attached to this post do show the difference...and subtlety as well (for example it appears you can order the tablet control for the rear and still not have electric/comfort seats and that also appears to include the wood trim on the centre armrest as well)...

My own 730d with comfort rear seats (optionally ordered) is shown for comparison, I have neither exclusive nor M Sport trim.

You can see the seat stitching is different and that the seat belt is not 'guided' at the top with the sewn in loop in 'standard' seats (as it wouldn't be needed because the seats won't move). You can also note that the door does not have the electric seat memory buttons (always silver on the new 7, just below the door handle). You can also see that the seat side area where the armrest does go up into is one solid piece without any lines separating the seat from the middle (seat) area, and this is different in the comfort seats where the seat back line is visible in comparison. Finally, you can see that the standard headrests do not get the softer, removable additional cushion that the comfort seats get.

So, hope this helps, you'll have both comfort and electric seats as they are the same thing AFAIK. The comfort bit is likely that indeed they do offer more comfort over standard seats.

I should add for correctness that the images of the 'standard' seats are borrowed from the web google search and copyright of their respective owners.

I should also add that the standard spec sheet from BMW themselves conflicts itself as it does list electric rear seats as standard but does not list comfort seats unless you get 'exclusive' or 'M Sport' trim...but they are one and the same AFAIK and I think this is a typo (electric seats in rear is not standard).
Attached Images

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 02-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: adding multi-contoured info and other smaller details.
Appreciate 0