2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
The V10 is bespoke. The 8 is just a derivative of it, not a clean sheet design by any means. Did that make BMW lazy when developing the S65?
You still don't get it.
They're both bespoke, being M GmbH conceptions and not derived from or related to regular series engines.
The V10 is the only clean sheet design of the two, yes, but both S85 and S65 are bespoke M engines.
Who cares where they are derived from? The S54 isn't a bespoke M engine and I don't see anyone bashing that motor.

Bespoke means that engine was developed for that car and shares nothing else with any other car or engine. The S65 cannot make this claim. The only BMW that can is the e60. My point is that what you start from doesn't matter. Any M engine is good.
Did you even read my post? Because I don't think you're grasping the concepts correctly.
I spoke of "lazy" in regards to FI tuning.
To build an NA engine for an M-car, even when based off another (i.e., S50—> S54) is a craft in itself.

You mistake clean sheet with bespoke.
When people refer to the S85 and S65 as "bespoke", it means they share nothing with anything outside the M works.
They are exclusively [bespoke] M engines.
It was really just a one time thing that M was able to go balls out and work on a project like that. To be able to take their Formula 1 development and everything they learned from it and conceptualize a basis for two special engines. We will, perhaps, never see this from BMW again for a long time.
You're really in the minority if you think the S65 sharing pistons with the S85 qualifies as being lazy and non-bespoke.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0