Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
Need some advice on smart home tech.

I'm going to be doing a full gut job of my existing home and basically all walls will be open.

-New electrical
-New HVAC
-New Natural gas lines
etc.

I'm looking to do the whole smart home thing, is it worth the money? NEST type everything etc.

Has it really made your lives easier?

I'm all for technology just wondering if the benefits are truly there. I'm not looking for re-sale value as I'm living there till I die.

Thanks.
I would say the smart home thing is gimmicky as well. Technology outdates itself constantly and there will always be the "newer or better" option. Traditional always will stand the test of time.

I would take the "upgrade" money and run radiant flooring throughout your house, that's a boss move.

May I also suggest running at least 1 extra independent circuit to each junction box for future use in case you want to add anything later. That way it's easy to access a dedicated line without having to snake through the whole house or put holes in walls. In addition, I would also say to make sure your GC has outlets for you every 6 ft in every room if not already there since everything is being re-run anyway.