View Single Post
      03-08-2024, 09:26 PM   #9
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramezza View Post
It's a great feeling seeing your range increase while coasting, I admit. When I'm approaching a bit in the road which is downhill I tend to make sure it's in eco mode so it coasts and gives me the maximum gains.

Would this be the most effective way to do it?
In theory, yes. In practice it can be tricky to achieve. In Adaptive, Comfort, Sport modes you will get coasting with overrun. This means that fuel injection and ignition are cut and engine is being turned by driven wheels. In Eco Pro mode, traditional overrun coasting is replaced by freewheeling when you let go of the throttle pedal above speed ~48kmh/30mph. This will disconnect the transmission which effectively puts car into neutral until speed drops to 40kmh/25mph - it will then resume traditional overrun coasting. Benefit of this is that you will roll a lot further because engine is disconnected from driven wheels, thus not producing any driveline braking. Downfall is that engine is no longer driven by the wheels so it is kept at idling speed by fuel injection.

Why I say that gains can be difficult to achieve in practice is that this kind of freewheeling needs good situational awareness to execute your coasting runs effectively. You will need ample clear space ahead and properly calculated gradient and road condition response because your coasting run will be a lot longer, even gaining speed on slight downhill roads. If you are unable to properly freewheel down to 40kmh/25mph, then it's mostly more efficient to coast in overdrive where engine braking generates predictive and higher deceleration, all while cutting fuel injection to engine. Some people also find sensation of being out of gear a bit unsettling.

If you can properly implement freewheeling and not cut it prematurely by brake pedal then it most certainly is most effective way to coast. If not, then Eco Pro mode has many other facilities within it as well to reduce fuel consumption and freewheeling can be disabled at will in Individual configuration. During those days where I feel lethargic, I really like the slow, smooth and linear power delivery of Eco Pro mode.

Last edited by Raimo5; 03-08-2024 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2