View Single Post
      07-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #72
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
I agree with you on cars built around the E90 but not with cars built today. This is coming from someone that works in the industry. My E92 M3 is also a first year model, and has been the best car I've ever owned. Currently at a measly 93k miles compared to you, but still on original rod bearings.

The reason I disagree with you is because cars nowadays are far more complicated than our cars, specifically the electronics, safety systems and even drivetrains (neither of our cars used turbos or direct injections). Case and point, look at all the issues VW is having with the Golf 8 and ID3 in terms of software. Case and point:
https://www.motor1.com/news/423689/v...-issues-arise/

I will say though, your posts have single handedly made me look at an N52 powered vehicle if I need to add another daily
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0