View Single Post
      07-23-2022, 12:41 AM   #20
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

A few updates -

Car has continued to impress for sure...as mentioned above, the handling is insanely good for something that weighs close to 5200 pounds. Even though it's aloof, the steering is 100% BMW...I can't explain it but you know what I mean. Despite being soft, the body control is incredible. And it is actually a bit unsettling how hard this car can corner, if only because the car is so isolated that it can be difficult to tell where the limit is. It's not a 10/10ths car, to be sure, but at 7, 8/10...it's incredible for what it is.

I drove a Panamera Turbo prior to purchasing this car, and while there is no denying that car is the pinnacle of large sedan chassis development, the M760 stacks up favorably. And nothing beats the V12.

Re: the tires - Despite the fact that I hated the runflats, they had plenty of tread left and I intended to use them at least through the end of the year. Unfortunately, the city of Chicago had other plans. The potholes have gotten particularly bad, and one night a couple weeks ago I noticed that a bubble in the front driver's side sidewall. Only then did I go and look at the reviews for these things and find out that almost every single person who has had these tires has had them self-destruct after very few miles. So, decided to bite the bullet and put on a full set of ExtremeContact DWS 06s...seemed to be essentially a tossup between those and the Pilot Sport 4. Couldn't get the Michelins in time for the trip I took last weekend, so the Contis it was. So far they have been great. Massively improved ride, better braking to be sure, much quieter, and more confident handling. The Goodyears felt like they were made out of hard plastic in comparison. Looking forward to seeing how these handle all season use. So far I love these.

Finally, some bad news - the one thing I feared most has happened. Managed to put a small scuff in the front bumper just a couple nights ago. Was pulling into my building's car wash bay to wash the bugs and pollen off from the weekend trip, and my wet, worn out flip flops slipped slightly on the brake pedal and I stopped about a fraction of a second too late and touched a metal pole guarding the entrance as I came to a stop. Absolutely devastated. Obviously, a repaint will be necessary to fix this...guts me to think the car will no longer be wearing its original BMW Individual paint on every panel. I'm also nervous about the color matching...hoping I can find a shop in the greater Chicago area that I can trust to do the work. Amazing how it only takes a fraction of a second to make a massive mistake....

If anyone has Chicagoland body shop recommendations, I will gladly take them.
Appreciate 0