04-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #36
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
When I was looking at them in 2019, I was able to get $25K off MSRP. I ultimately passed and got a F80 then my F87C. It was a hard choice but what lead me down the BMW path was
a) No manual transmission in the QV. That's pretty rough considering this was originally the transmission they were going to bring over in 2017. As cool as those giant paddle shifters are, they are hooked up to a conventional auto and that really sucks in a performance vehicle.
b) The interior is on par with a Mazda 6. The carbon buckets were nice but no heating? The carbon wheel was okay but no heating? No HUD? Gauges that look like they belong in a Accord? The infotainment that's at least 2 generations old when new? The plain buttons, the horrid shifter, etc. I know I'm nitpicking but at this price point, I'm actually not, there's really no excuse. Though this was somewhat addressed in 2020.
c) The tires are a big one. They are 60 tread ware summer only rubber. Meaning, when the weather changes, you literally cannot drive your 4 door sedan on the road unless you switch to a normal tire or else you hydroplane and the tires will literally crack at 40 degrees (which in the PNW is like 7 months of the year). So what happens when you put normal tires on it, the performance drops pretty drastically. There's a article out there that did a test on the Corsa's and a replacement tire and it didn't look good.
d) The perceived dependability. Whether true or not, this has a huge affect on resale.
e) Resale, the value of the car plummets. Back in 2019, if I could get $25K off sticker, what does that mean for used cars in general? I remember seeing them as low as mid 40s for a 2017 models with clean titles and 30s for salvaged ones. This was on cars.com.
At the end of the day, I honestly think that I could have forgiven Alfa if they put in the proper transmission and simply got the car. But I just couldn't do that to myself.
It's a really weird time to buy a car. You obviously know the dilemma.
I hope i'm not scaring you or anything, just giving you my experience.
jeff11366.50
DrFerry6730.00