///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If it is a publicity stunt then why have we achieved the impossible with the accomplished i3 and i8? It is an achievement because we know of good authority Mercedes-Benz are 5-6 years behind with VAG at least 5 and Porsche at 10 years in building Carbon fibre bodies for volume models.
The weight of the new 7er will be disclosed very soon but i can tell you it is far lighter than an equivalent S-Klasse. And to think these similar savings will be passed on to the G30 5er. And eventually the G20 3er.
A few things:
1) Do you think people in the market for a 7 series are going to take them to the track? Will the weight savings really help BMW do better 0-60? Unless there is an M7 to track against the S63 and S65 AMG.

2) I don't know how much better the mileage will be. But lets say 1-2MPG better than previous model. Do people buying these cars really, really care? It is not of importance to most of them when they cross shop for such cars. Especially, if they are going to have a V8/V12 engine.

All I am seeing is: "Here is our flagship BMW...well it looks more or less the same as the previous one inside out, perhaps a little weird too with those big lights, but hey, at least we got the weight down using carbon fiber".

By the way, how expensive would it be to fix/replace carbon fiber+plastic mumbo-jumbo panels in case of an accident? Or perhaps the people buying these cars really don't care about that cost.
Just my 2 cents:

Bringing CF to the 7 series isnt for laptimes or anything like that. Being the flagship model of BMW, the 7 series is also a technology demonstrate vehicle for BMW group. Its a glimpse of technologies that will roll down to the lower models. Now BMW has invested tons of money into CF mass manufacturing research simply because CFs are expensive. Will BMW introduce the technology with 3 series? No way that will happen because the low price of 3 series doesnt allow implementation for expensive CF structures. Did Audi start all aluminum body with an A4? No they did with the A8.
In my opinion BMW is on the right track and I cant wait to see further implementation of CFRP.